Mark's Temptation account

  • Dennis C. Sullivan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 1998
      For your consideration:

      Joseph Frankovic, a scholar of the Jerusalem School for Synoptic Research,
      has written an interesting article for The Jerusalem Digest, a publication
      of CSBR--Phone 909 793 4669

      Joseph is doing his doctoral work under the supervision of Burt Visotzky of
      JST in New York.

      Coming from Dr. Robert Lindsey's position that Mark used Luke as a source,
      Joseph suggests that Mark knew and used information from Naphtali in
      redacting the Lukan temptation account:

      "Something about Jesus' temptation reminded Mark of a passage from the
      Pseudepigrapha. In Naphtali 8:1-4 we read, 'Salvation will arise for Israel
      through Judah... Residing among men, God will appear on the earth in
      order to save the nation Israel and to gather the righteous from among the
      gentiles.'"

      "A conditional promise then follows: 'the devil will flee from, angels will
      stand by, and wild beasts will fear the one who does what is virtuous. '"

      Joseph goes on to conclude that this is the source for Mark's "wild beasts
      and angels".

      For more on Lindsey and the Jerusalem School, see Steve Carlson's excellent
      Synoptic Problem web page.
      Follow the link to the Jerusalem Perspective web site.

      Regards,

      Dennis Sullivan Skalar Systems Dayton Ohio
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 1998
        Dennis C. Sullivan wrote:

        > For your consideration:
        >
        > Joseph Frankovic, a scholar of the Jerusalem School for Synoptic Research,
        > has written an interesting article for The Jerusalem Digest, a publication
        > of CSBR--Phone 909 793 4669
        >
        > Joseph is doing his doctoral work under the supervision of Burt Visotzky of
        > JST in New York.
        >
        > Coming from Dr. Robert Lindsey's position that Mark used Luke as a source,
        > Joseph suggests that Mark knew and used information from Naphtali in
        > redacting the Lukan temptation account:
        >
        > "Something about Jesus' temptation reminded Mark of a passage from the
        > Pseudepigrapha. In Naphtali 8:1-4 we read, 'Salvation will arise for Israel
        > through Judah... Residing among men, God will appear on the earth in
        > order to save the nation Israel and to gather the righteous from among the
        > gentiles.'"
        >
        > "A conditional promise then follows: 'the devil will flee from, angels will
        > stand by, and wild beasts will fear the one who does what is virtuous. '"
        >
        > Joseph goes on to conclude that this is the source for Mark's "wild beasts
        > and angels".

        Dennis,

        I'd be very much interested in seeing this article. So if you have a
        copy I'd be grateful for your sending it to me.

        More importantly, however, I'd like to note that this connection between
        T.Nap and the Markan story is not something new. I drew attention to it
        and its implications for understanding Mark;s reference to Jesus being
        with the beasts (Mk. 1:13) in 1993 in a JSNTS article entitled "Jesus'
        Wilderness Temptation according to Mark" and it was mooted and defended
        in a wonderful study of the Markan story in CBQ 26 (1964) by H.A. Kelly
        entitled "The Devil in the Desert", from which much in my own article
        was drawn.

        Yours,

        Jeffrey Gibson
        --