[Synoptic-L] Does Matthew Depend on Mark?

  • JFAlward@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 10:18 PM
      I've recently asked that members rebut my argument against claims of
      "fatigue" in Matthew's gospels that another list member has advanced. Having
      received no response, I wonder whether other members share my view that the
      evidence of Matthew's dependency on Mark is weak. Does anyone believe this
      is not the list consensus?

      Best Regards,

      Joe Alward
    • Randall Buth
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 3:48 AM
        yosef egrapsen"
        >Having
        >received no response, I wonder whether other members share my view that
        the
        >evidence of Matthew's dependency on Mark is weak. Does anyone believe
        this
        >is not the list consensus?<

        I wouldn't know about the list consensus.
        As for Matthew, he is a very interesting breed. Used Mark.

        Jewish Christian, with access to excellent sources, who used Mark as one of
        the sources. Many times when Luke and Mark show different
        sources/traditions Mt will follow a secondary source found in Mark.
        (Some puzzles: Mt writes decent enough Greek though with an Aramaic 'tote'
        narrative style. Check influence of Mark's euthys vis a vis Mt's euthews.)

        yisge shlamax
        Randall Buth

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 6:41 AM
          At 01:18 AM 4/2/01 EDT, JFAlward@... wrote:
          >I've recently asked that members rebut my argument against claims of
          >"fatigue" in Matthew's gospels that another list member has advanced. Having
          >received no response, I wonder whether other members share my view that the
          >evidence of Matthew's dependency on Mark is weak. Does anyone believe this
          >is not the list consensus?

          I doubt there is a list consensus on much at all, except that the
          synoptic problem is interesting. The majority of scholars, on and
          off this list, hold that Matthew depends on Mark. The arguments for
          it are outlined in my page on the 2ST:

          http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/2sh/index.htm