[Synoptic-L] Critical Edition of Q

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2001
      Wieland Willker wrote about "The Criticial Edition of Q" --

      >We finally got a copy, too. What a massive tome! Twice as big as the
      >Aland Synopsis and the same number of pages.
      >Unfortunately I have found several pages blank: p. 373, p. 376/77,
      >p. 380/81, p. 384/85, p. 388
      >I think we have to return the book. Anybody else with this problem?

      Wieland,
      The pages in my copy are all complete.

      Is it not ironical, however, that you should have some blank pages when
      the title of the book, if taken literally, implies that they should all
      be blank?!

      The work is a fine very scholarly attempt to reconstruct the text of Q
      on the assumption that the Two Document Hypothesis is true. It is not a
      critical text of Q, since if Q existed no manuscripts of it have
      survived, and, in any case, Q may never have existed at all. A critical
      edition of Q would have all its pages blank.

      I have been trying to think of an alternative title that would fit the
      contents of the published book. What about "The Reconstruction of Q" ?

      _

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001

        >The work is a fine very scholarly attempt to reconstruct the text of Q
        >on the assumption that the Two Document Hypothesis is true. It is not a
        >critical text of Q, since if Q existed no manuscripts of it have
        >survived, and, in any case, Q may never have existed at all. A critical
        >edition of Q would have all its pages blank.

        I'd think that your comments would have more cogency if the
        title were "A Text Critical Edition of Q." But, by itself,
        the word "critical" only means that rigorous thought went
        into producing the edition of Q.

        >I have been trying to think of an alternative title that would fit the
        >contents of the published book. What about "The Reconstruction of Q" ?

        Your title is fine, because that's what it is. There's also
        "A Source Critical Edition of Q".

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001
          >Brian Wilson wrote--
          >
          >The work is a fine very scholarly attempt to reconstruct the text of Q
          >on the assumption that the Two Document Hypothesis is true. It is not a
          >critical text of Q, since if Q existed no manuscripts of it have
          >survived, and, in any case, Q may never have existed at all. A critical
          >edition of Q would have all its pages blank.

          Stephen Carlson replied --

          >I'd think that your comments would have more cogency if the title were
          >"A Text Critical Edition of Q." But, by itself, the word "critical"
          >only means that rigorous thought went into producing the edition of Q.

          Stephen,
          I agree that the cogency of my comments would be even greater
          if the title were "A Text Critical Edition of Q". I think the cogency of
          what I actually wrote, however, remains.

          The word "Critical" is not by itself in "The Critical Edition of Q", but
          is part of the phrase "Critical Edition".

          You cannot have a critical edition of a hypothetical document that does
          not exist, and may never have existed.

          You can have a critical edition of a document that has extant
          manuscripts. It is possible to have a critical edition of the Gospel of
          Matthew, for instance. The edition is constructed by critically
          examining the extant manuscripts, and choosing between observed
          variants. If there were no manuscripts of Matthew there would be no
          critical edition of it.

          Brian Wilson also wrote --

          >I have been trying to think of an alternative title that would fit the
          >contents of the published book. What about "The Reconstruction of Q" ?

          To which Stephen Carlson replied --

          >Your title is fine, because that's what it is. There's also "A Source
          >Critical Edition of Q".

          I suggest that "A Source Critical Edition of Q" does not fit the
          contents of "The Critical Edition of Q" . Its writers make very clear
          that their work is certainly not source criticism, but redaction
          criticism --

          >"The emergence of Q as a text originally written in Greek, whose
          >Matthean and Lukan redaction can often be detected and discounted by
          >applying the methods and results of redaction criticism in identifying
          >Matthean and Lukan redactional traits in their treatment of Mark made a
          >critical edition of Q seem at least a possibility." (page lxvi)

          Source-critical questions such as the "layering" of Q in a succession of
          documentarily dependent sources, or of whether reconstructed Q reflects
          an earlier source of the sayings of Jesus, or of a Q community, are
          explicitly not on the agenda --

          >"Hence its [the CEQ's] method has neither presupposed a view as to the
          >layering of the text of Q, nor a view as to what extent or in what way
          >Q reflects the sayings of Jesus and/or of the Q community." (page
          >lxvii)

          The aim of Robinson, Kloppenborg Verbin and Hoffmann in "The Critical
          Edition of Q" is, on the assumption that the Two Document Hypothesis is
          true, to use redaction criticism of the synoptic gospels to fill in the
          lacunae between the wording of "minimal Q" which is the wording common
          to Matthew and Luke (but not Mark). Such redaction criticism cannot
          proceed even the tiniest step without first assuming the Two Document
          Hypothesis.

          The book is a thoroughly scholarly redaction-critical reconstruction of
          Q on the assumption that the Two Document Hypothesis is true. It is not
          a critical edition of a hypothetical document which may never have
          existed.

          _