[Synoptic-L] Goodacre's Fatigue in Cleansing of the Leper

  • JFAlward@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29 10:44 PM
      I summarize here the important points made by Leonard Maluf and me over
      several posts regarding "fatigue" in the cleansing of the lepers stories in
      Matthew and Mark:

      In my original post rebutting Goodacre's claim that Matthew's Cleansing of
      the Leper tale (Matthew 8:1-4) showed fatigue owing to its dependency on Mark
      1:28-44, I asserted that Mark surely wished for his readers to believe that
      the people from the synagogue, and those who had just been un-demonized by
      Jesus, followed him and were there at his side when Jesus cured the leper, so
      that if Matthew could be accused of "fatigue" by Goodacre for having Jesus
      ask the leper to tell no one, then the same accusation could be leveled
      equally well at Mark.

      At this point, Leonard Maluf advanced the argument that "Matthew's
      account..need not be interpreted as implying that Jesus intends his work of
      cleansing the leper to remain hidden. Rather the negative injunction is a
      mere foil to highlight the positive command that follows: Go SHOW YOURSELF to
      the priests."

      I then countered with the evidence that Matthew elsewhere has Jesus make the
      same kind of plea for silence and secrecy:

      "and their sight was restored. Jesus warned them sternly, 'See that no one
      knows about this.'" (Matthew 9:30)..."Aware of this, Jesus withdrew from that
      place. Many followed him, and he healed all their sick, warning them not to
      tell who he was." (Matthew 12:15-16)

      It is clear, at least to me, that Matthew 9:30 tells us that Jesus wants
      nobody to know what he'd done, and this it what Goodacre would have had in
      mind, for the presence of the crowds makes Jesus words to the leper
      inconsistent.

      Leonard Maluf then made comments that I don't understand.

      About the command for silence motif, Leonard said, "The motif should be
      studied primarily at the redactional level. It is most clearly illuminated by
      the citation from Isaiah in Matt 12:18-20, and in particular, 12:19. Because
      the motif is primarily Christological, one need not expect its use to yield
      perfectly coherent sense at a narrative level. This is why Matt 8:4 poses no
      real problem for my reading of that text."

      Leonard, please explain how you're using the terms "redactional level" and
      "Christological" here, and in particular, show why one shouldn't expect
      Matthew 8 to be coherent. What rule do you use to disregard incoherency, and
      how was it applied in this case? In my view, Matthew 12:19, "He will not
      quarrel or cry out; no one will hear his voice in the streets," just provides
      the scriptural antecedent and justification for having Jesus ask for secrecy;
      how does its use give Matthew--or Mark--license to write narratives which are
      not "perfectly coherent." If I've misunderstood your argument, please accept
      my apologies.

      Regards,

      Joe Alward
      Joseph F. Alward, Ph.D.