Re: [Synoptic-L] Old Testament Antecedents for Luke's Wicked Tenants

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2001
      In a message dated 3/11/2001 11:22:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      JFAlward@... writes:

      << "I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled
      out my
      beard; I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting." (Isaiah 50:6)

      It's difficult to understand why you believe Luke "chose to ignore" the
      prophet being beaten and shamed in the verse above, for Luke specifically
      spoke of such a person:

      "He sent another servant, but that one also they beat and treated
      shamefully..." (Luke 20:11)

      If the Greek text contains linguistic evidence which you believe is strong
      enough to overpower the circumstantial evidence I provided above, as well as
      the other evidence I've provided from Jeremiah and 1 Chronicles, will you
      please show me what you have in mind?>>

      There is nothing to show. Unfortunately there is a LACK of linguistic
      evidence in Greek to show that Luke was borrowing here from Is 50:6, or from
      the other texts you cite. I admit, though, that the parallel looks good in
      English. It's just that that probably has very little significance. I say
      "probably" because I have never really investigated in depth the possibility
      that Luke used texts from which he derived merely ideas (and no terminology).
      This is of course a distinct theoretical possibility (and could, I suppose,
      include the possibility that Luke was reading some texts in Hebrew and doing
      his own translating). I just don't think this is Luke's style or habit, but I
      could be wrong. It would be worth pursuing this possibility further, perhaps.
      Thanks for supplying the interesting parallels.