BASILEIA TOU QEOU = TON KAIRON THS EPISKOPHS?

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 1998
      forgive me for posting here what a perusal of commentaries would
      probably reveal, but the heat here in Chicago is making that task too
      enervating.

      But can any one tell me whether any commentator has made a specific
      connection between the Synoptic Jesus' announcement at the outset of his
      public ministry of the arrival of the Kingdom of God/end times (Matt.
      4:17; Lk. 4:14-22) and the import of Jesus lament in Lk. 19:44 that
      Jesusalem would be destroyed because Israel did not "know" the time of
      its "visitation" (TON KAIRON THS EPISKOPHS SOU). More specifically I'm
      woundering if there is evidence to suggest that for Matthew as well as
      Luke the BASILEIA TOU QEOU which Jesus speaks of at the outset of his
      ministry, and which he proclaims as having arrived or drawn near, is
      viewed as, or can be described in terms of a, "final period of
      opportunity to discharge an office" (which is what I take "visitation"
      to mean in the Lukan passage). It certainly would help to make sense of
      Jesus prgramatic call for Israel to "repent" if it is viewed in this
      manner, doesn't it?.

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A