[Synoptic-L] Did Luke know Hebrew? EIPEN - present --aorist

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8 12:11 AM
      Randall Buth wrote --

      >Actually, none of the examples you just listed parallel the unique
      >turn at Luke 1.46-47. They all deal with a present comment referring to
      >some past supporting event.

      Randall,
      What unique turn? Lk 1.46-47 is Luke coinciding in using the
      progression EIPEN, PRESENT, AORIST, which is clearly a Lukan practice,
      and a parallel line saying much the same thing in LXX language, which is
      also clearly a Lukan practice. The coincidence of these two Lukan
      practices occurring together is not at all unlikely.

      >The problem was not the sequence of a clause with a present and a
      >clause with an aorist but a poetic parallel line saying basically the
      >same thing, once with a present, once with an aorist.

      The Lukan pattern I described was not a two-fold progression of present
      followed by aorist, but a three-fold progression of EIPEN, PRESENT,
      AORIST. In fact I do not see any problem here. The observed Greek is a
      combination of two observable Lukan practices.

      I do not think you can avoid considering the word EIPEN in Lk 1.46a. (It
      is not mentioned in your article). There are three verbs in Lk 1.46-47,
      not two. Also, the wording of Lk 1.46-47 is seen by many commentators to
      be from the Greek of the LXX (LXX-1-Kings [1 Sam] 2.1 , and LXX-Habbakuk
      3.18 are usually cited).

      I suggest there is no real difficulty in understanding Lk 1.46-47 (not
      just Lk 1.46b-47) as being Luke's creative usage of the Greek of the
      LXX.

      _