Re: [Synoptic-L] The Wrede/Schmithals theory

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2001
      Wieland, this is my understanding of the current state of
      scholarship on your questions. Hopefully, if I write
      something too outrageous, I'll be corrected.

      At 10:29 PM 3/4/01 +0100, Wieland Willker wrote:
      >For Kata Markon/Synoptic-L:
      >1. What is the current status of separating sources/editions in GMark?

      Although a number of intriguing proposals have been made (e.g.
      Achtemeier, Trocme, etc.), it appears that there are at least
      as many proposals as the scholars who make them. In other
      words, there is no consensus and most prefer not to assume
      that Mark went through a plurality of editions (except for
      the addition of 16:9-20).

      >2. What other explanations are there for Wrede's Messiah secret today?

      I think the trend is to categorize Wrede's messianic secret into
      three or four discrete types and offer different explanations for
      each. In other words, there is no one overarching answer for all
      the phenomena that Wrede identified.

      >3. Does final Q knows GMark?

      The majority view is that Mark and Q are independent. Those
      who differ from that rarely suggest that Q was known to Mark.
      For example, Fledderman's word suggests the opposite, that
      Mark knows Q, but his method in my opinion is severely flawed.