[Synoptic-L] Did Luke know Hebrew?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2001
      Randall Buth wrote --

      >Creed's claim about the LXX covering all scripture quotes, allusions
      >and snippets in ch. 1-2 is not true. There are NON-Septuagintal
      >Hebraisms in the Lucan material of chapters 1-2. See JSNT 1984
      >Buth, R, Hebrew Poetic Tenses and the Magnificat for at least two non-
      >LXX's. (And there are more outside the Magnificat.)

      Creed's claim is that Luke "never goes behind the LXX to the Hebrew text
      of the Old Testament." I find nothing in the exposition of Lk 1.46b-47
      in your article in JSNT to show that Luke has gone back to the MT.

      I would suggest also that the present tense in Lk 1.46b followed by the
      aorist tense in Lk 1.47 is not necessarily a reflection of Hebrew
      poetry. The present tense in 1.46b immediately follows EIPEN -- "he
      said". It is part and parcel of Luke's Greek to follow EIPEN with a verb
      in the present tense, and then follow this with an aorist verb.

      For instance, in Lk 2.28b-30, the Nunc Dimittis begins, "Simeon said --
      EIPEN -- 'Now let depart (PRESENT tense) your servant, O Lord, according
      to your word in peace, for my eyes have seen (AORIST tense) your
      salvation.'"

      Again, in Lk 7.9 Jesus "said (EIPEN), 'I say (PRESENT tense) to you, I
      have not found (AORIST tense) such faith in Israel...'"

      And also, in Lk 10.21 Jesus "said (EIPEN), 'I thank (PRESENT tense) you,
      Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you hid (AORIST tense) these
      things from the wise...'"

      There are other examples of this in Luke. The pattern is
      EIPEN...PRESENT...AORIST, as in Lk 1.46-47.

      I would suggest there is nothing in the first two chapters of Luke which
      must be regarded as having come from Hebrew material rather than from
      the Greek LXX and Luke's emulation of the LXX.

      _