Re: [Synoptic-L] Did Luke know Hebrew?

  • Randall Buth
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 5, 2001
      >Why do you not envision the possibility that Luke's "Greek sources" are
      >principally Matt's infancy story and LXX OT narratives and poetry which
      Luke
      >himself chooses to exploit in the attempt to do the same thing as, but
      better
      >even than Matthew has done, . . . If you assume
      >that someone else has done precisely this in Hebrew or Aramaic, underlying
      >Greek translation thereof to which Luke had access, why should one not
      >imagine that Luke did all of this himself, with the Greek text of the
      Bible,
      >even exploiting at times the meaning of well-known Hebrew names taken over

      >into Greek? This requires a considerable degree of creativity on the part
      of
      >Luke, but it also solves all your problems and avoids the inconvenience of

      >hypothesized, and non-extant sources.

      There are NON-Septuagintal Hebraisms in the Lucan material.
      See JSNT 1984
      Buth, Hebrew Poetic Tenses and the Magnificat
      for at least two non-LXX's.

      ERRWSO
      Randall Buth

      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 23, 2001
        >Stephen Carlson wrote --
        >>What I'm having great difficulty understanding is the philosophical
        >>objection to providing a reconstruction, especially by stating it would
        >>be "unscholarly" to do so.
        >>
        >"Unscholarly" here is your word, not mine, as also the description
        >"philosophical".

        Philosophical is indeed my word, and I stand by it. I do apologize
        misquoting on the exact use of the term "unscholarly." Nevertheless
        I feel it is an accurate characterization of what you did write, as
        follows:

        >The scholar who
        >accepted your imposition would not be very scholarly to my mind.

        Later in the 3/23 message you write:

        >I am putting together what hopefully will be a monograph of about 50,000
        >words on the LTH. I am very close to finishing. And yes, it will
        >include my file of the complete provisional table of contents of the
        >Greek Logia accompanied by reasons why this reconstruction cannot be
        >used to check the Logia Translation Hypothesis. Also answers to many
        >other questions are set out.

        This sounds wonderful. I am very much looking to forward to
        its publication.