Re: [Synoptic-L] Q's Editions and Occam's Razor

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2001
      I wrote:

      >> Q is a consequence of the hypothesis of the independence of Matthew
      >>and Luke. If Q1 and Q2 are consequences of examining Q, then it is a
      >>simple logical conclusion that Q1 and Q2 are consequences of the
      >>hypothesis of the independence of Matthew and Luke. Anyone who is
      >>acquainted with scientific methodology (and I see no reason why its
      >>hypothesis testing is not relevant to historical investigation) will
      >>know that a theory is assessed by looking at all its consequences,
      >>whether direct or indirect.

      Stephen Carlson replied:

      > ..... if the consequence is necessary (as all logical
      >consequences are), it is not a hypothetical element that runs the
      >theory afoul of Occam's Razor -- even if that consequence is yet
      >another hypothetical document.

      Stephen,
      Doubtless you are right here. But you haven't applied the principle
      correctly to the situation under consideration. Q1 and Q2 are not, in
      the strict sense, logical consequences of the Q hypothesis. They are not
      "necessary" consequences. For no logician could deduce merely from a
      definition of the 2ST that Q must turn out to be made up of multiple
      parts. It could have been otherwise. Q could have turned out, like
      Matthew or Acts or Colossians or James for instance, to be so
      well-structured or uniform that Kloppenborg et al. would have judged it
      to be a single edition. It is the fact that it could have turned out
      this way but didn't, that allows us to invoke Occam's Razor, and that
      should raise our suspicions as to whether it really was a historical
      document.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...