[Synoptic-L] Luke's narrative introductions

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2001
      >Robert Brenchley wrote --
      >
      >It is relatively easy to posit a 'minimal Q' (material common to both
      >Gospels);

      Robert,
      I think it is much more difficult than is commonly supposed. In
      fact the triple tradition, which includes a passion narrative, is all
      material common to both Gospels (Mt and Lk). I do not think "material
      common to both Gospels (Mt and Lk)" will do as a definition of Q for
      most advocates of the 2DH, therefore.

      Earlier in this thread I gave my understanding of the 'minimal Q'
      definition in the following wording --

      >As I understand it, some Q theorists who accept the 2DH define a
      >"minimal Q" as wording common to both Matthew and Luke (whether double
      >or triple tradition) which, on the 2DH, could not have been derived
      >from Mark.

      That really is quite complex. On the one hand it admits the triple
      tradition "Mark-Q Overlaps" into Q, but on the other hand rules out all
      triple tradition which is not "Mark-Q Overlap". I would suggest that in
      the 2DH, the concept of Q is strangely complex.

      >is there any way that Q theorists can set a limit to those parts of the
      >Gospels which *could* have been taken from it by one author alone?

      Only if the 'minimal Q' definition is set aside. It is just not possible
      for material to be both common to Mt and Lk and also to be in only Lk,
      or in only Mt. The laws of logic will not allow it.

      _