[Synoptic-L] Mark 1:40 (supplement)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2001
      Reading over my own post of yesterday on this text, I realize that this is
      the kind of message that should be written in the morning hours, rather than
      late at night. At least a few things could have been stated with greater
      precision under more mentally favorable conditions.

      When I spoke of "reflection", e.g., I should have made it clear - first
      of all, that this is merely an example of what I mean by something that is
      intrinsically secondary to something else. And of course I am speaking of
      reflection in the technical sense, of the mind's own awareness of its
      activity. So, the mind must first be active (knowing something "out there")
      before it can, in an act of reflection, become aware of its own activity.
      "Secondary" in this context thus means not merely posterior in time; it also
      conveys the idea of a (causal) dependency in the order of being.

      Then too, I hope it was clear to all that I was not arguing that the
      presence of the term parakalwn in Mark 1:40, and its absence in the
      parallels, can single-handedly solve the Synoptic Problem. I was merely
      proposing that this kind of a reflective summary term, suggesting secondary
      appraisal in formal terms of an already well-known story, evaluated by a
      later evangelist as belonging to the familiar category of a "request" from a
      superior, might be looked for and found elsewhere in Mark, or, on the
      contrary, might be found to be far more frequently present in Matt and/or Lk
      with respect to Mark. At any rate, it is something new, possibly something
      significant, and certainly something more objective as a priority indicator,
      to look for when attempting to argue in a fresh way for relative priority or
      posteriority among the Synoptics.