(Fwd from Richard Anderson) RE: [Synoptic-L] (Fwd from Martin Wells) Luke and Joseph

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2001
      From: "Richard Anderson" <randerson58@...>
      To: <M.S.Goodacre@...>
      Copies to: <SonGoku@...>
      Subject: RE: [Synoptic-L] (Fwd from Martin Wells) Luke and Josephus
      Date sent: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 20:51:31 -0500

      look at
      http://members.aol.com/FLJOSEPHUS/home.htm which has
      several articles
      discussing the possible relationship between Josephus and Luke.

      Richard H. Anderson
      Wallingford PA
      http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke

      From: "Martin Wells" <>
      To: <Synoptic-L-Owner@...>
      Subject: Luke and Josephus
      Date sent: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:49:31 -0000

      Greetings all,

      Apologies for slicing into the Mark discussion but I'm after a bit of
      help. I'm trying at the moment to work out if Luke used the works of
      Josephus in any form. Apologies if this is an old topic but I'm new to
      this group. I'm researching the origins and possible reasons for his
      inclusion of Quirnius' census, in an attempt to lock down the dating
      inconsistancy (but that's another topic and not one which I want to
      start).

      Right now I would be grateful if anyone knows of any books (not
      journals as I don't have access to them) which discuss the above
      Luke/Josephus question. At the moment I've unearthed three points
      of
      Antiquities and Luke has used neither. So I'm getting nowhere fast.

      I can see that a number of characters, phrases and events occur in
      Luke which are also found in Wars/Ant but then he also makes
      incorrect
      use of them. If Luke prided himself on being such a thorough
      historian
      why did he not read his sources properly? Did he get them from
      confused secondary sources? Am I asking stupid questions? Most
      likely!
      Any pointers on this issue would be most grateful.

      Martin