(fwd: R. Derrenbacker): Re: [Synoptic-L] In Memoriam - William R. Farmer

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2001
      Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 11:51:31 -0500
      From: "Robert Derrenbacker" <rderrenbacker@...>
      To: Synoptic-L@...
      Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] In Memoriam - William R. Farmer

      I had the great privilege of meeting Prof. Farmer in Leuven, Belgium
      during the summer of 1998 and participating with him in the Synoptic
      Problem Seminar at the SNTS in Copenhagen that same summer. I found Bill =
      to be an extremely cordial man, an easy person to talk with, and one whose
      understanding of the history of Synoptic source-critical discussion
      second-to-none. The highlight of my time in Copenhagen was a dinner with
      Bill, his wife Nell, and David Peabody. We spent the evening discussing a
      variety of issues in Gospels study, and I quickly realized that I, as an
      advocate of the 2DH, had much more in common with Bill than not. I will
      miss Bill and the vigor he added to Synoptic source-critical debates. I
      pass on my condolences to his wife and family, and to those colleagues who
      were extremely close to him.

      Bob Derrenbacker
      Associate Dean and Professor of New Testament
      Tyndale Seminary, Toronto, Canada

      >>> "Thomas R. W. Longstaff" <tlongst@...> - 12/31/00 9:36 AM >>>
      With sadness we mark end of an era of New Testament Studies.

      Yesterday afternoon (December 30), following a prolonged battle with
      cancer, William R. Farmer died in Dallas, Texas.

      Bill will be remembered by most people for his contributions to=20
      gospel studies, and especially his work on the synoptic problem.
      Those who knew him well will also remember his lifelong commitment
      to social justice and his courageous stand, especially with people of
      color, in their struggle for equality.

      Our thoughts and prayers will help to support Bill's wife Nell and his
      children in their loss.

      While there is much more to be said about Bill's life and work, it
      seemed to me appropriate to share this sad news with members of
      Synoptic-L today.

      Dr. Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Crawford Family Professor
      Department of Religious Studies