[Synoptic-L] Greek influence in 'Q'

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2001
      I've been looking for evidence of Greek influence in the sayings
      material over and above the fact that the versions in Matt and Luke (and
      arguably the original Q) were written in Greek. I have only found two.
      (1) DIABOLOS (Matt 4:1 = Luke 4:2 and others in the Temptation). I
      understand this word to be essentially Greek, in contrast with the
      Aramaic SATANAS.
      (2) hADHS (Matt 11:23 = Luke 10:15) is also apparently of Greek origin,
      in contrast to GEENNA.

      On other grounds I've concluded that the 'Q' pericopae containing
      these two words were not in the original sayings source.

      (IWTA is mentioned in Matt 5:18 but not in the Lukan parallel.)

      Does anyone know of any other clear Greek influence within the
      material usually designated as Q?

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...