Re: [Synoptic-L] In Memoriam - William R. Farmer

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
      At 09:36 AM 12/31/00 -0500, Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote:
      > With sadness we mark end of an era of New Testament Studies.
      >Yesterday afternoon (December 30), following a prolonged battle with
      >cancer, William R. Farmer died in Dallas, Texas.

      This is indeed sad news.

      I have never had an opportunity to meet Prof. Farmer personally
      (though he once sat briefly in the row behind me at a Matthew
      seminar in the Orlando '98 meeting of the SBL), but his presence
      will continue to be felt through his writings and especially his
      students.

      In the 1960s, he was a voice calling in the wilderness of synoptic
      source criticism, but he has nonetheless developed and nutured a
      new generation of top-notched source critics. This fact to me, if
      anything, demonstrates that he was more than a scholar but a great
      teacher who went beyond instruction to inspiration, generating
      excitement in a field that far too many ignored as dry.

    • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2001
        I have just spoken with Bill Farmer's daughter who tells me that a memorial
        service for her father will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 3rd
        at Holy Cross Catholic Church in Dallas.

        Those who wish to make contributions to celebrate his life may send them to:

        The Holy Cross in Encuentro 2000 Project
        Holy Cross Catholic Church
        4910 Bonnie View Road
        Dallas, TX 75241

        This project, designed to increase communication and cooperation across
        cultural and racial lines was very important to Bill.

        At an appropriate moment I will share with Nell and the children the

        Dr. Thomas R. W. Longstaff
        Crawford Family Professor
        Department of Religious Studies
        Colby College
        4643 Mayflower Hill
        Waterville, ME 04901-8846
        Tel: (207) 872-3150
        FAX: (207) 872-3802

      • Michael Burer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
          I had the privilege of meeting Dr. Farmer rather recently. He came to
          lecture for a day in early December for our Synoptic Gospels class at Dallas
          Theological Seminary. We had been interacting with his book all semester, so
          it was very rewarding to meet him in person and interact with him personally
          about his views. Dr. Hoehner, our professor for this class, has very high
          regard for him, and after meeting him I understood why: Dr. Farmer was very
          fair and even-handed in his treatment of differing views, all the while
          being extremely thorough and exact in explaining his own. He was a scholar
          worthy of emulation, and I hope that I can build in my life the excellent
          qualities which marked his own.

          Grace to all,
          Michael Burer
          Ph.D. Student
          Dallas Theological Seminary

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
            I would like to add my own heartfelt condolences to the family and
            friends of Bill Farmer. The academic world will mourn the loss of a
            great scholar and a fine human being. To me, one of his most
            remarkable achievements was his success in combining a robust,
            critical challenge to standard views with a graciousness in relating
            to advocates of all views.

            Others have spoken of the friendly and enthusiastic way he related
            to scholars even of differing perspectives. Although at the
            beginning of my academic career, I was repeatedly and warmly
            encouraged by Bill Farmer on each of the five occasions when I
            have met him. On one of these occasions, in Birmingham in 1997,
            Bill said to me "Your belief in Marcan Priority is not a problem to
            us", which at the time surprised me but on reflection was typical of
            his graciousness in embracing our agreement (dispensing with Q)
            rather than focusing on our disagreement, at the same time
            nurturing a spirit of cooperation between New Testament scholars
            of different backgrounds and different generations.

            In the limited time I spent with him, I was impressed by his ability
            to listen to others and to take seriously the points they were
            making. I remember well the great anxiety he felt at the
            Strasbourg SNTS in 1996 when Michael Goulder expressed his
            lack of ease with the term "Two Gospel Hypothesis" (since his
            theory also is a kind of "two gospel" hypothesis) and as a result he
            announced his concerns in the Synoptic Problem seminar.

            It is a tribute to him also that he was still engaging in serious
            scholarship right to the end of his life -- I was happy and privileged
            to join with Bill and his colleagues in the Research Team of the
            International Institute for the Renewal of Gospel Studies for a
            discussion of Tim Friedrichsen's extended review and critique of
            _Beyond the Q Impasse_ at the recent SBL meeting in Nashville.
            His contribution to that discussion was typical of those each time I
            have met him -- sharp and critical of of certain views while friendly,
            cordial and open to those advocating them.

            I am grateful for what he has done to "renew gospel studies" by
            challenging us to think in fresh ways, for refusing to accept the
            consensus simply because it is the consensus, but most of all for
            encouraging scholars to work together in the kind of collegial spirit
            that is all too often lacking in the discipline. We will honour his
            memory if we attempt to work in the kind of ecumenical and
            cooperative spirit that will make life, both inside and outside the
            academy, more fruitful and whole.

            Mark
            Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
            University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
            Birmingham B15 2TT
            United Kingdom

            http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
            Homepage