Re: Mk 11:2//

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 1998
      Jim West wrote:

      > NA 27 list Zech 14:4, Gen 49:11, and 1 Sam 6:7 as possible
      > parallels.

      Jim -- of course you are right -- I should have opened my NA27 before
      writing my hasty response. One might also add Zech. 9.9LXX where the
      king comes on a "new colt".

      Jim wrote:

      > That is the unusual thing. Matthew, of all the gospels, seems most
      > interested in OT fulfillment. So why omit what the others seem to
      > draw from the OT? Why omit it if he found it in Mark? I do not see
      > how omitting it would detract from Zech 9:9.

      I suppose the question would be: how would Matthew incorporate both
      elements, (1) a new colt and (2) the ONOS + the PWLOS? The decision
      to go with the literalistic two animal reading of Zech. 9.9 would
      surely have made it difficult also to go with Mark's "upon which
      no-one has ever sat", wouldn't it?

      Also, it may not be necessary to think that his attempts to show
      Gospel events fulfilling the OT was a production line: "let's get
      Jesus to fulfill as many prophecies as possible".

      Or perhaps Matthew, like me, missed the "new colt" OT allusion in
      Mark.

      All the best

      Mark

      > >Mark
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      > Jim West, ThD
      > Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      > Adjunct Professor of Bible,
      > Quartz Hill School of Theology
      >
      > jwest@...

      Dr Mark Goodacre M.S.Goodacre@...

      Synoptic-L Archive: http://www.findmail.com/list/synoptic-l
      Synoptic-L Owner: Synoptic-L-Owner@...
    • Jim Deardorff
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 23, 1998
        At 07:59 PM 6/23/98 +0000, Mark Goodacre wrote:
        >Jim West wrote:
        >
        >> NA 27 list Zech 14:4, Gen 49:11, and 1 Sam 6:7 as possible
        >> parallels.

        >Jim -- of course you are right -- I should have opened my NA27 before
        >writing my hasty response. One might also add Zech. 9.9LXX where the
        >king comes on a "new colt".

        >Jim wrote:
        >>
        >> That is the unusual thing. Matthew, of all the gospels, seems most
        >> interested in OT fulfillment. So why omit what the others seem to
        >> draw from the OT? Why omit it if he found it in Mark? I do not see
        >> how omitting it would detract from Zech 9:9.

        >I suppose the question would be: how would Matthew incorporate both
        >elements, (1) a new colt and (2) the ONOS + the PWLOS? The decision
        >to go with the literalistic two animal reading of Zech. 9.9 would
        >surely have made it difficult also to go with Mark's "upon which
        >no-one has ever sat", wouldn't it?
        >
        >Also, it may not be necessary to think that his attempts to show
        >Gospel events fulfilling the OT was a production line: "let's get
        >Jesus to fulfill as many prophecies as possible".
        >
        >Or perhaps Matthew, like me, missed the "new colt" OT allusion in
        >Mark.
        >
        >All the best
        >
        >Mark

        Mark et al.,

        We've heard from representatives who favor the 2SH, the Farrer and the
        Griesbach hypotheses. Here's how it could go with the AH:

        The "new colt" phrase did not occur in the Scriptures available to the
        writer of Matthew, so he did not use it. (Maybe it was available to the
        later translator of Hebraic Matthew into Greek, since he made some use of
        the LXX, but he declined to use it for the reason mentioned by Mark: his
        attention to the literal fulfillment of Zec 9:9. Anyway, he must have known
        that Jesus had ridden on only one animal, and it would have been the ass,
        not its foal.)

        The writer of Mark added in EF ON OUDEIS OUPW ANQRWPWN EKAQISEN
        either of his own volition or as suggested by the "new colt" in the LXX Zec
        9:9 verse. I favor the former, as I have some doubt that this writer was
        well enough versed in the OT to recognize the source of the verse. Also,
        "new colt" does not necessarily imply a colt upon which no one has
        previously sat. With the AH one views the writer of Mark as wishing to
        bestow extra deferential treatment for Jesus not present in Matthew, as
        indicated by several other verses. This was a touch of added dignity, like
        the greater number of houses Jesus had available to him in Mark than in
        Matthew, the cushion for his head when in the boat, and the large room
        upstairs furnished & ready.

        The writer of Luke liked to follow Mark rather than Matthew wherever Mark
        deviates from Matthew. (This way he could show his preference for Mark's
        inclusion of discipleship for gentiles over Matthew's anti-gentile stance.)
        So he followed Mark on this point.

        The additional parallels from NA 27 mentioned above, other than Zec 9:9, are
        pretty obviously too distant from the clause in question to be relevant.

        Jim Deardorff
        Corvallis, Oregon
        E-mail: deardorj@...