[Synoptic-L] A look inside the source sQ

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2000
      I've updated my Web site to add a new page with the above title within
      the section on synoptic gospel sources.
      'sQ' is the label I've given to the written sayings source of the 3ST
      stripped of pericopae deemed to have been taken by Au_Luke directly from
      Matthew.
      In contents, sQ is theologically consistent. It shows no trace of
      Pauline influence. On the contrary it reveals in Matt 5:18; 7:6;
      10:5-6,23 the sort of narrow 'Christian Jewish' outlook we would expect
      from James (c.f. Gal 2:12) or one of his supporters. It is an outlook
      which may have been shared by Jesus himself.
      In structure, sQ is far more coherent than Q as presented by Mack or
      Duling or Schnelle.
      It contains a set of parallels which, it might be argued, have been
      forced upon the text. The interested reader must judge. (If at first you
      don't spot a parallel, read the corresponding texts.) My contention is
      that they are too good to be a modern illusion, and so is the rest of
      the structure. It must have been there all the time, hidden in Matthew
      and Luke, waiting for someone to throw out the bathwater of Luke's
      supposed independence of Matthew without abandoning the baby of the
      sayings source.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...