[Synoptic-L] Fallacies & Proof

  • Steven Craig Miller
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 4, 2000
      To: Brian E. Wilson,

      << Even if he did argue in this way, would not Taylor have committed the
      same fallacy in doing so? The argument for a literary relationship between
      the synoptic gospels is from the very strong agreements of wording and
      order between them. But it would be a fallacy to argue from these observed
      similarities that therefore the three synoptists did not independently use
      the same documentary source. >>

      I don't like the use of the term "fallacy" in this context. I am more than
      willing to admit the theoretical possibility that other hypotheses are
      possible. But you seem to be almost arguing that anyone who reaches a
      conclusion contrary to that which you have reached has committed a
      "fallacy." That hardly seems fair. It is not like Vincent Taylor was
      totally unaware of ur-Gospel hypotheses, in fact, they seem to me to have
      been more popular back when he was writing than they are today. What you
      have is not a "fallacy," but rather a difference of opinion. Why can't you
      recognize it as such and leave it at that?

      None of the hypotheses put forth as solutions to the Synoptic Problem can
      be absolutely proven to be the one correct description of what happened.
      Yet your position appears to be that anyone who reaches a conclusion
      different from your own has committed a "fallacy," since your hypothesis is
      in your opinion consistent with all the synoptic data. Of course, every
      advocate believes that their hypothesis is fully consistent with all the
      synoptic data -- indeed that their hypothesis best explains the synoptic
      data. In my opinion, that does not constitute a "fallacy," rather it merely
      constitutes a difference of opinion.

      -Steven Craig Miller
      Alton, Illinois (USA)
      scmiller@...

      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 4, 2000
        Leonard Maluf asks --
        >Or do you in fact define more narrowly what you mean by "story
        >dualities" in your article?

        Yes, much more narrowly.

        _