[Synoptic-L] Fallacies

    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 2, 2000
      Steven Miller wrote --

      >Where is Taylor's fallacy in the quotation provided by Stephen Carlson?

      The statement was --

      >The extensive parallels to Mark in Matt. (90 per cent of
      >Mark's verses) and in Luke (over 50 per cent), the high average of
      >verbal agreement (about 51 per cent in Matt. and 53 per cent in Luke),
      >the relative agreements in order, the stylistic and grammatical
      >improvements in the later Gospels, the softening or omission of bold
      >Markan statements, and the vivid character of Mark's Story, all combine
      >to make it certain that Mark is our earliest Gospel used as a source by
      >Matthew and Luke.

      The fallacy is that the conclusion does not follow from the premises of
      the argument. The logic is therefore erroneous.

      For it is possible, on the same premises, that Mark is not our earliest
      Gospel used as a source by Matthew and Luke, but that all three
      synoptists independently used a common documentary source.

      Taylor would have been using valid logic if he had written --

      The extensive parallels to Mark in Matt. (90 per cent of >Mark's verses)
      and in Luke (over 50 per cent), the high average of verbal agreement
      (about 51 per cent in Matt. and 53 per cent in Luke), the relative
      agreements in order, the stylistic and grammatical improvements in the
      later Gospels, the softening or omission of bold Markan statements, and
      the vivid character of Mark's Story, all combine to make it certain
      EITHER that Mark is our earliest Gospel used as a source by Matthew and
      Luke OR THAT THE THREE SYNOPTISTS INDEPENDENTLY USED A COMMON
      DOCUMENTARY SOURCE.

      Leave out the words in capital letters, and you have an argument using
      erroneous logic. Taylor's argument is fallacious, therefore.

      He has failed to notice that the theory of the Non-Priority of any
      synoptic gospel follows just as much from his premises as the theory of
      Markan Priority.

      _

      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 4, 2000
        Leonard Maluf asks --
        >Or do you in fact define more narrowly what you mean by "story
        >dualities" in your article?

        Yes, much more narrowly.

        _