[Synoptic-L] topics for LP book

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2000
      Following hard on my request to provide LP bibliography so that I can
      actually say with some authority what "they" are saying about the LP for
      the Paulist book, I'd now like comments and criticisms on the way I
      propose to organize the book's topics. Here's my tentative outline:

      1. Authenticity and Origins (does it go back to Jesus in its entirety?
      It is a later composite of originally individual petitions)
      2. Original Version (Matthew's or Luke's?)
      3. Explanation of Differences between the Texts
      4. Its Relation to Jewish Prayers
      5. General Meaning: An Eschatological Prayer?
      6. Meaning of Individual Petitions
      7. The Prayer's use by the early church

      Should anything else be included? Or to put this another way, are there
      any other things that those who are saying something about the LP are
      saying something about?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2000
        On 2 Dec 2000, at 19:53, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

        > 1. Authenticity and Origins (does it go back to Jesus in its entirety?
        > It is a later composite of originally individual petitions)
        > 2. Original Version (Matthew's or Luke's?)
        > 3. Explanation of Differences between the Texts
        > 4. Its Relation to Jewish Prayers
        > 5. General Meaning: An Eschatological Prayer?
        > 6. Meaning of Individual Petitions
        > 7. The Prayer's use by the early church
        >
        > Should anything else be included? Or to put this another way, are there
        > any other things that those who are saying something about the LP are
        > saying something about?

        Although this may well be covered under "3. Explanation of
        Differences between the Texts", I'd be interested in seeing a (more
        broadly) text-critical chapter, perhaps even before we get to topic
        number 2. For one can't decide which (if either) is more "original"
        out of Matt // Didache or Luke until one has decided on how one
        reconstructs those texts. The Lord's Prayer, as you know of
        course, is one of the most fascinating of all pericopae to view from
        a text-critical perspective. In relation to bibliography, I don't recall if
        your biblio. included my colleague David Parker's _The Living Text
        fo the Gospels_ (Cambridge: C.U.P., 1997), which features a whole
        chapter on the textual history of the prayer.

        The book sounds interesting -- I look forward to it!

        Mark
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        Homepage
        http://NTGateway.com