[Synoptic-L] Fallacies

    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 2, 2000

      >The extensive parallels to Mark in Matt. (90 per cent of Mark's
      >verses) and in Luke (over 50 per cent), the high average of verbal
      >agreement (about 51 per cent in Matt. and 53 per cent in Luke), the
      >relative agreements in order, the stylistic and grammatical
      >improvements in the later Gospels, the softening or omission of bold
      >Markan statements, and the vivid character of Mark's Story, all combine
      >to make it certain that EITHER Mark is our earliest Gospel used as a
      >source by Matthew and Luke OR THAT THE THREE SYNOPTISTS INDEPENDENTLY
      >USED A COMMON DOCUMENTARY SOURCE.

      The above is quotation from V. Taylor spotted by Stephen Carlson, except
      that I have added the words in capital letters forming an EITHER...OR...
      "pair-of-alternatives" statement.

      I would suggest that when the logic of the argument is corrected in this
      way, it is seen that the various phenomena adduced by Taylor as evidence
      for the theory of Markan Priority are equally evidence for the theory of
      Non-Priority of any synoptic gospel.

      Conversely, taking out my words in capital letters leaves an argument
      using erroneous logic, showing that Taylor's argument is fallacious.

      _

      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 4, 2000
        Leonard Maluf asks --
        >Or do you in fact define more narrowly what you mean by "story
        >dualities" in your article?

        Yes, much more narrowly.

        _