[Synoptic-L] important notice to C-P and Kata Makon members

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2000
      I apologize for using Lists other than C-P and Kata Markon to address
      Corpus Paulinum and Kata Markon members. But the server which hosts
      these two Lists has crashed -- perhaps fatally -- and I know of know
      other way to let C-P and KM members know of this event that to send a
      message to Synoptic-L, XTalk, etc., since membership of Synoptic-L etc.
      overlaps with membership of C-P and KM.

      Something has gone dreadfully wrong at metalabs (the sever at the
      University of North Carolina which hosts C-P and KM, along with B-Greek
      and B-Hebrew) and no one has been able to access or post to these Lists
      for several days now. Repairs are being attempted. But we may lose
      several months of our archives.

      It may turn out that we will need to move the List to another server.
      But I do not have the names of everyone who was subscribed! All I have,
      since I saved anything posted to C-P and KM -- are the names and e-mail
      addresses of those who sent things in to those Lists, not the full
      subscription list data. So I may need to ask any of you who were
      subscribed, but who remained lurkers, to let me know who you are.

      But let's hope it doesn't come to that.

      In any case, I wanted to let people know why they haven't been able to
      get through if anyone has been trying to do so. I would appreciate it if
      you'd pass this message on to others you know who are members of C-P and
      KM but who are not subscribed to the Lists to which I'm sending this.

      More information will be forthcoming as it becomes available to me.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
        "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

        > Something has gone dreadfully wrong at metalabs (the sever at the
        > University of North Carolina which hosts C-P and KM, along with B-Greek
        > and B-Hebrew) and no one has been able to access or post to these Lists
        > for several days now. Repairs are being attempted. But we may lose
        > several months of our archives.

        [snip]

        > In any case, I wanted to let people know why they haven't been able to
        > get through if anyone has been trying to do so. I would appreciate it if
        > you'd pass this message on to others you know who are members of C-P and
        > KM but who are not subscribed to the Lists to which I'm sending this.
        >
        > More information will be forthcoming as it becomes available to me.

        I'm now very happy to say that it looks like -- thanks to the efforts of
        Jonathan Magid at Metalabs -- C-P and Kata Markon are back up and running
        without loss of any data.

        However, I suspect that if you were trying to reach the Lists over the last
        few days, your posts were lost in cyberspace. At the risk of duplication, I
        would advise anyone who was attempting to post to C-P and K-M since Tuesday
        evening to resend what you were posting.

        Yours,

        Jeffrey Gibson
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)