Re: [[Synoptic-L] brief comments: Hakkinen; Kloppenborg; Laupot]

  • Eric Laupot
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2000
      Stephen Goranson <goranson@...> wrote:
      Aplologies for crossposting, though I think these
      respond to issues on both lists.

      Previously, I noted that the article by Eric Laupot
      entirely avoided the excellent discussion by
      Menahem Stern in Greek and Latin Authors Jews and
      Juadaism (1980)--a standard work whhich should have
      been cited. Stern gave references to Origen, Paulus
      Orosius, and Sulpicius Severus himself (on Hadrian's
      destruction of Jerusalem) which make Laupot's
      proposal exceedingly improbable. I am no expert on
      Sulpicius Severus. But I made a quick tour in the
      library of several recent works on him--including
      works more recent than most cited in the article--
      and found yet more counterindications. E.g., the
      uncited volume, G. K. van Andel, The Christian
      Concept of History in Sulpicius Severus (Amsterdam,
      1976), with a long discussion on Tacitus.

      ----- Just for the record: van Andel's "uncited
      volume" was cited by me in footnote 2. Van Andel's
      work also included a long discussion of Hadrian's
      destruction of Jerusalem, and Paulus Orosius' work
      was discussed extensively on p. 243 of my article.
      I did not mention Menachem Stern's discussion because,
      as I recall, it was tertiary to various secondary
      sources. Since the above-mentioned citations formed
      the heart of my study, I can only conclude that you
      did not read my paper very carefully. However, if you
      would care to share with us exactly what it was that
      Origen had to say (as well as these "more recent works
      on Severus" that you mention), then perhaps we may
      get some idea as to why you feel my argument is
      "improbable." Without these details, however, I cannot
      comment on your critique.

      Eric Laupot
      PO Box 286510
      New York, NY 10128