Re: [Synoptic-L] The Critical Edition of Q

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 24, 2000
      At 09:20 AM 11/24/00 -0600, Steven Craig Miller wrote:
      >To: Stephen C. Carlson,
      ><< If, however, you are looking for what a large group of scholars thinks
      >is in Q, then this is the right book. >>
      >The IQP
      >reconstruction is the collaboration of over 40 scholars, edited by James M.
      >Robinson, Paul Hoffmann, and John S. Kloppenborg. There is no commentary
      >presented, not even on how they reached their decision, although
      >occasionally a few notes are added.

      I too didn't like this omission from a book of its heft. If you are
      interested into understanding why they reached the decisions they
      did (as opposed to knowing merely what their decisions were), then
      you'd have to go their DOCUMENTA Q series, which is quite detailed
      (and expensive).

      At 03:43 PM 11/24/00 -0000, Dr Mark Goodacre wrote:
      >One thing that is a little disappointing about
      >the volume is that there is no place where *just* the Greek
      >text is printed continuously, i.e. without the synopsis, so you
      >have to turn over page after page just to read one pericope.

      I would agree with this. Ironically, this omission and their
      concomittant decision to spread Q throughout the entire volume
      make it more difficult to study Q as a *document* in its own
      right. Rather, the Q of the CEQ remains merely a source of
      of Matthew's and Luke's wording. I guess it was premature to
      announce Q's graduation from source to gospel.