[Synoptic-L] Re: [Excavating-Q] Q and the historical Jesus

  • Sukie Curtis
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2000
      Dave Hindley wrote:

      > This was why I raised the issue of 4 Ezra and 2 Baruch in my response
      > to John, as they seem to be addressed to readers whose apocalyptic
      > beliefs had been shaken by the first Jewish revolt against Rome. The
      > material, though, is presented in an instructional (maybe even
      > sapiental) format. Would you agree with this, or do you adopt an
      > alternative view of the genre of these two books?

      I wouldn't pretend to know much about 4 Ezra and 2 Baruch without spending
      some time with them. But Kloppenborg's point may be somewhaat different (I
      think) in terms of what he means by "literary evidence," in that rather than
      referring primarily to other examples of apocalyptic or sapiential
      literature, he is pointing to what he sees in the verses usually attributed
      to Q (by those who hold to the Q hypothesis), and in the order predominantly
      found in Luke. Looking at the Q material that way, he sees places where
      some verses (sometimes singly, sometimes in a small group) seem to clearly
      interrupt the flow of the surrounding verses. And again and again the
      interrupting verses share the more "apocalyptic" outlook or flavor (as well
      as a Deuteronomistic outlook) and the interrupted verses show the more
      "sapiential" outlook. It's not that he claims sapiential material must also
      come first and move toward apocalyptic but that in Q that is what seem to be
      happening.

      A belated happy Thanksgiving to all,

      Sukie Curtis
      Cumberland Foreside, Maine