Re: [Synoptic-L] Papias on Matthew's LOGIA

  • l. j. swain
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2000
      "Brian E. Wilson" wrote:

      > Larry Swain wrote --
      > >
      > >It certainly is important to know how Eusebius understands these terms,
      > >but more important, since he is citing Papias, is to attempt to discern
      > >what Papias meant by them
      >
      > Does the Papias tradition concerning Matthew's LOGIA in fact tell us
      > anything about what Papias (or Eusebius) thought?
      >
      > Eusebius was handing on a tradition of Papias handing on a tradition of
      > what an Elder said. I would suggest that the tradition therefore tells
      > us about what the Elder thought.

      True. What we have to consider is to what degree Papias was passing on
      a tradition using his own words or passing on the tradition in pretty
      close to the words of the "elders". In any case, while we know he is
      passing on tradition, we still discuss what Papias meant by words such
      as LOGIA, HERMEN*, HEBRAIDI DIALEKTW, and so on, and discovering what
      Eusebius meant by these terms is helpful, but in the end only indicates
      how Eusebius may have understood the sources he was reporting on, not on
      how those sources may or may not have used those terms.

      Larry Swain