[Synoptic-L] Re: [Excavating-Q] Luke's ordering of the Q material

  • dgentil@sears.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2000
      I saw your question on the Seminar list, and I am certainly interested to
      hear the answer.

      In the mean time, I thought I'd mention my reasoning for these on the main
      list.

      My thought is that Luke is working from two documents, and is in general
      trying to preserve the order and content
      of the original document. The specific cases you mention would be things
      that were not in Luke's
      early source at all. Thus Luke groups them with all the other material that
      is in his new source
      but not his old source.

      My hypothesis:
      ================
      Gos-A (non-Greek) => Gos-B
      Gos-A + Gos-B => Mark
      Gos-B + sayings => proto-Matt.&Q
      proto-Matt.&Q + Mark => Matthew
      proto-Matt.&Q + Gos-A => Luke
      ================

      So on my hypothesis, the sayings you mention were not in Gos-A.
      They are added in Gos-B.
      Mark , proto-Matt, and Matthew all have them in their Gos-B/Markian
      context.
      From Luke's perspective these additions that were made to form Gos-B,
      appear no different than the much
      greater number of additions that are made going from Gos-B to proto-Matt.

      Thus Luke treats them identically and places them in his new special
      section.

      David Gentile
      Riverside, IL
      847-286-3624

      Sent by: owner-synoptic-s@...

      To: synoptic-S@...
      cc:

      Subject: [Excavating-Q] Luke's ordering of the Q material

      I note in at least five of theses cases (Q 12:10/Mk. 3:28-30; Q
      12:11-12/Mk. 13:11; Q 13:18-19/Mk. 4.30-32; Q 13:30/Mk.
      10.31; Q 17:1-2/Mk. 9:42) Luke has omitted or re-written the
      Markan version in its Markan context so that he could use the
      Q version in its Q context instead.