[Excavating-Q] Common Sayings Tradition

  • Dean Pielstick
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2000
      Greetings...I am working on a document for Westar regarding
      Crossan's Common Sayings Tradition and would like to hear
      your thoughts on CST as the (a?) source for Q (and Thomas).
      [I hope this is in line with the intention of this dialogue!]
      Thanks. ...Dean

      Dr. Dean Pielstick
      Business Program Coordinator
      Northern Arizona University
      --Eastern Arizona
      3417 W. Church St.
      Thatcher AZ 85552

      Dean.Pielstick@...
      (520) 428-8344 X. 26

      This is the _Excavating Q_ Seminar (Oct. 23 -- Nov. 10 2000).
      Please send your messages to Synoptic-S@...
      Please send all other correspondence to Synoptic-S-Owner@...
    • Andrew Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2000
        on 11/2/00 6:26 AM, Dean Pielstick at Dean.Pielstick@... wrote to
        Synoptic-S:

        > Greetings...I am working on a document for Westar regarding
        > Crossan's Common Sayings Tradition and would like to hear
        > your thoughts on CST as the (a?) source for Q (and Thomas).
        > [I hope this is in line with the intention of this dialogue!]
        > Thanks. ...Dean
        >
        > Dr. Dean Pielstick

        For clarification, CST is the material common to Q/GThomas which Crossan
        uses for the Birth of Christianity, having adopted it from Stephen
        Patterson. I happen to be reading both BoC and Patterson's The Gospel of
        Thomas and Jesus at the moment and I think that CST could be an interesting
        topic for this list.

        Assuming that the independence/autonomy/non-dependence of the Gospel of
        Thomas is accepted, then the Q/Gthomas material is an easy way to get at
        early Jesus sayings. But this is only true if you hold the 2DH. If you
        adhere to the GH then Matthew/Gthom is the most original material; if you
        are a Farrerite then Mark/GThom is is the most important; for neither the GH
        nor FH there is no necessary distinction between the importance of Q/GThom
        and SpM/GThom.

        Anyway, all this led me to think of a Common Sayings Tradition which depends
        neither on the priority or posteriority of Mark, nor the existence or
        non-existence of Q. It's simply this: the material common to the triple
        tradition and GThom is early regardless of any synoptic source theory.

        Would Triple-tradition/GThom be an excellent inventory of early Jesus
        sayings tradition?

        Best Wishes

        Andrew Smith