[Synoptic-L] Re: Synoptic 'Sitz im Leben'

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2000
      I wrote:

      >> Many modern critics would add that 'Luke' didn't mention the death of
      >>Paul because he probably died at the instigation of Nero, and to have
      >>explained this would have involved criticism of the Roman authorities.

      Richard Anderson replied:

      >>This criticism view was demolished by
      >>C.K. Barrett in 1961 when made a profound observation. He said referring to
      >>Luke-Acts: 'No Roman official would ever have filtered out so much of what
      >>to him would be theological and ecclesiastical rubbish in order to reach so
      >>tiny a grain of relevant apology.'[C.K. Barrett, Luke the Historian in
      >>Recent Study, (London 1961), p.63]

      Richard,
      Thanks for your off-list reply which has clarified this somewhat. As I
      understand it now, Barrett was demolishing the view that the sole
      purpose of Luke-Acts was to defend Christianity in the eyes of
      Theophilus, taken to be a Roman official. I have no dispute with Barrett
      here.
      All I was arguing was that a *subsidiary* theme in Luke-Acts was the
      presentation of the Roman authorities in a favourable light. This
      explains why Paul's mode of death was not described. Barrett's statement
      in no way demolishes this view.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...

    • Richard Anderson
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2000
        Maddox whom I quoted off list would agree with you. He states that there is
        indeed an unmistakable and surprisingly irenic attitude towards Rome in
        Luke-Acts which desrves to be explored and taken into account.

        I provide this explanation this in my article, Theophilus: A Proposal,
        published in Evangelical Quarterly and on my webpage.
        http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke

        Richard H. Anderson