[Synoptic-L] The Holy Spirit - John vs. Luke

  • Kyle Dillon
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2000
      Acts 1:5 - "[Jesus says prior to his Ascension] For John baptized with water, but you [the disciples] will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now [referring to Pentecost, following the Ascension]."

      John 20:22 - "And with that he [Jesus] breathed on them [the disciples] and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'"

      Are Luke and John referring to different events involving the Holy Spirit--one before and one after the Ascension--or is this an example of conflicting theologies between the Synoptics and John? Does this suggest that John and Luke did not know of each other's Gospels?

      Kyle Dillon
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2000
        In a message dated 9/9/2000 1:22:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        kyledi@... writes:

        << Acts 1:5 - "[Jesus says prior to his Ascension] For John baptized with
        water, but you [the disciples] will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many
        days from now [referring to Pentecost, following the Ascension]."

        John 20:22 - "And with that he [Jesus] breathed on them [the disciples] and
        said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'">>

        Note that John's text (here) associates Jesus more closely with the giving of
        the Spirit than does Luke's: in Acts, Jesus merely promises/prophesies this
        Spirit outpouring, in John he personally effects it. And yet earlier in his
        Gospel John refers to the Spirit "whom the Father will send in my name.." And
        earlier in his double work, Luke had JB say: "He (Jesus) will baptize you
        with fire and the Spirit". It seems to me that both times both Evangelists
        are referring to different dimensions of one and the same mysterious
        event/reality: the presence of the Spirit in a new and manifest way in the
        community of believers following the death and resurrection of Jesus.

        I do not think this suggests that John did not know Luke's Gospel - or, for
        that matter, that he did not know both Luke's Gospel and Acts. We have to
        escape, I think, from a deeply ingrained habit (going back to the early days
        of source criticism) of assuming that had an Evangelist had access to an
        earlier writing his instinct would have been to simply copy what he found
        into his own Gospel. This is not the way writers normally proceed. The
        progymnasmata exercises in Hellenistic education would have trained them to
        proceed in a much more creative fashion, producing a new literary whole,
        based on a reflective appraisal, analysis, appreciation, of source documents
        also read as a whole. Such a presupposition makes a John who knew well the
        entire Synoptic tradition, plus Acts, very plausible.