Re: [Synoptic-L] just asking

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2000
      From: "Brian E. Wilson" <brian@...>
      To: <Synoptic-L@...>
      Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 6:45 AM
      Subject: [Synoptic-L] just asking

      > Was Jesus baptized?
      >
      > Just asking.

      If I were voting on the historicity of the baptism of Jesus by JB, I would
      give it a bright red.
      I think it is one of the more reliable accounts in the NT, if somewhat
      embellished. It was at
      his baptism that the Nazarenes believed him to have become the bar d'alaha.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net

      sharing a meal for free.
      http://www.thehungersite.com/
    • Kyle Dillon
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2000
        Well I think that the critic could technically question any of the deeds of
        Christ, including his very existence. But most likely, I would argue that
        John the Baptist did indeed baptize Jesus. All of the Synoptics agree, and
        John at least implies it. Therefore, my guess is that Jesus' baptism was as
        well known as his resurrection. The real question is, how reliable are the
        gospels?

        Kyle Dillon
      • Tim Reynolds
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2000
          It's my sense that Jesus wasn't a public figure until the Temple Incident,
          which I put early. I've explained somewhere in the Archives how it got late
          in Mk and his successors.

          tim