[Synoptic-L] just asking

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2000
      Was Jesus baptized?

      Just asking.

      _
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2000
        From: "Brian E. Wilson" <brian@...>
        To: <Synoptic-L@...>
        Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 6:45 AM
        Subject: [Synoptic-L] just asking

        > Was Jesus baptized?
        >
        > Just asking.

        If I were voting on the historicity of the baptism of Jesus by JB, I would
        give it a bright red.
        I think it is one of the more reliable accounts in the NT, if somewhat
        embellished. It was at
        his baptism that the Nazarenes believed him to have become the bar d'alaha.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net

        sharing a meal for free.
        http://www.thehungersite.com/
      • Kyle Dillon
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2000
          Well I think that the critic could technically question any of the deeds of
          Christ, including his very existence. But most likely, I would argue that
          John the Baptist did indeed baptize Jesus. All of the Synoptics agree, and
          John at least implies it. Therefore, my guess is that Jesus' baptism was as
          well known as his resurrection. The real question is, how reliable are the
          gospels?

          Kyle Dillon
        • Tim Reynolds
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 8, 2000
            It's my sense that Jesus wasn't a public figure until the Temple Incident,
            which I put early. I've explained somewhere in the Archives how it got late
            in Mk and his successors.

            tim