Re: [Synoptic-L] SBL Synoptics Section

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2000
      ----------
      > From: Mark Goodacre <M.S.Goodacre@...>
      > To: Synoptic-L@...
      > Subject: [Synoptic-L] SBL Synoptics Section
      > Date: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 8:26 PM
      >
      > Subscribers may be interested to see details of the Synoptics
      > Section at this year's SBL Meeting in Nashville, now available on
      > David Landry's homepage at the following URL:
      >
      > http://personal1.stthomas.edu/dtlandry/synoptic.html
      >
      > Included are papers by Jeff Peterson, Mark Matson and me under
      > the general heading "Marcan Priority Without Q"

      Mark,

      I liked your article _A Monopoly on Marcan Priority_,

      http://personal1.stthomas.edu/dtlandry/goodacre.html

      I think it is very good in pointing out all the faults and weaknesses of
      2ST. And the other two articles there, by Jeffrey Peterson, and Mark A.
      Matson, are also quite good.

      In particular, "Mark-Q overlaps", and all those all-too-numerous "Minor
      Agreements" (750 of them!) do present serious problems for the 2ST dogma.
      Also, _Insular Communities vs. Church Universal_ section in Jeffrey's paper
      is quite relevant in pointing out the improbability of there being any
      "isolated Christian communities" that didn't know what gospels other
      Christians were using. All this should give 2ST adherents some grounds for
      concern.

      2ST tends to be way too simplistic, it seems to me, in making many
      assumptions that are quite tenuous. It is indeed difficult to believe that
      Mt and Lk were written in isolation from each other.

      But of course a good argument against 2ST does not yet assure us that we
      have a better alternative, because all the major alternative theories
      current today may also have their own faults that are no less serious. And
      it is not clear to me that FGM is necessarily a stronger theory than 2ST.

      You write towards the end,

      "At other times it may be because the Lucan version indeed exhibits, when
      all things have been considered, signs of greater primitivity. I do not
      think that the number of such passages is large, but it is worth looking at
      what the implications of the presence of such passages would be. Do they
      necessitate the existence of Q?"

      Well, it is just possible that these apparently primitive passages in Lk do
      not necessitate the existence of Q. You appeal to "the role of oral
      tradition in Gospel relationships", and this is one way to deal with this
      difficulty. But the problem is that these more primitive passages in Lk are
      certainly not confined merely to the sayings of Jesus. And is the number of
      such passages really not large? To the contrary, they appear to be very
      numerous.

      Indeed, there are also great many non-sayings passages in Lk that appear to
      be more primitive. For example, the whole Passion sequence is replete with
      these passages. Such as Lk 22:39-46, the Agony in the Garden, where the
      disciples fall asleep only once, rather than three times as in Mt/Mk. It is
      easy enough to see in this case which one is the more primitive version.
      And I've also listed other such apparently more primitive passages in Lk
      before, such as the Anointing, and others.

      These numerous primitive elements in Lk do constitute a very serious
      problem for FGM, in my view. One way to resolve this and all other Synoptic
      conundrums is to suppose that all three Synoptics (and perhaps Jn as well)
      are based on a more primitive proto-gospel source document. Both Koester
      and Loisy propose proto-Mk as such more primitive source document, but a
      proto-Lk can also be suggested.

      Regards,

      Yuri.

      Biblical history list http://www.egroups.com/group/loisy - unmoderated