[Synoptic-L] Matthean & Johannine Account of Jesus' Baptism

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7, 2000
      Kyle Dillon wrote --

      >The Synoptics and John, clearly from independent traditions yet both
      >claiming to have derived from eyewitness accounts, both have John
      >baptizing Jesus and have the Holy Spirit subsequently descend on
      >Jesus as a dove.

      My copy of the Gospel of John lacks any description of John baptizing
      Jesus.

      If we did not have the synoptic gospels, would it have occurred to
      anyone reading the Gospel of John that Jesus was baptized?

      _
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7, 2000
        In a message dated 9/7/2000 5:57:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        brian@... writes:

        << Kyle Dillon wrote --

        >The Synoptics and John, clearly from independent traditions yet both
        >claiming to have derived from eyewitness accounts, both have John
        >baptizing Jesus and have the Holy Spirit subsequently descend on
        >Jesus as a dove.

        My copy of the Gospel of John lacks any description of John baptizing
        Jesus.

        If we did not have the synoptic gospels, would it have occurred to
        anyone reading the Gospel of John that Jesus was baptized?>>

        My copy of John is, of course, much like yours, and thanks for pointing this
        out. As for your final question, I would admit that the answer has to be
        "no", technically, but I would insist on pointing out that the condition that
        opens your question is "unreal". John was not in fact either written nor was
        it ever read without a knowledge of the Synoptics, and for this reason the
        baptism of Jesus is read into the account. It is the category of "witness" to
        the identity of Jesus (and to the identity of himself), not found formally in
        the Synoptics, that governs John's entire encounter with Jesus in Jn. Notice
        too that in 1:29 Jesus is seen "coming to" (pros) John, as only in Matt 3:13
        in the Synoptics. The words of JB at this point in Jn's narrative have the
        same effect as does the immediately following action of Jesus in Matt. The
        lamb of God takes away the sin of the world (by identifying with sinful
        humanity in his death). It is this same identification with sinful humanity,
        and symbolically with their death, that is evoked in Matthew's account by
        Jesus' being baptized alongside sinners. Which action (or passion) of course
        fulfills "all justice", the entirety of the divine plan for his Messiah. John
        the Baptist's protestation against Jesus' baptism in Matthew anticipates
        similar misunderstandings of Jesus' Messiahship, notably that of Peter in
        Matt 16. This is a major theological emphasis and point in Matthew's gospel.
        It is not an afterthought addition to an older story, a remedy for an
        embarrassing datum of history that could not be omitted altogether.

        Leonard Maluf
      • Yuri Kuchinsky
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 7, 2000
          ----------
          > From: Brian E. Wilson <brian@...>
          > To: Synoptic-L@...
          > Subject: [Synoptic-L] Matthean & Johannine Account of Jesus' Baptism
          > Date: Thursday, September 07, 2000 5:52 AM
          >
          > Kyle Dillon wrote --
          > >
          > >The Synoptics and John, clearly from independent traditions yet both
          > >claiming to have derived from eyewitness accounts, both have John
          > >baptizing Jesus and have the Holy Spirit subsequently descend on
          > >Jesus as a dove.
          > >

          > My copy of the Gospel of John lacks any description of John baptizing
          > Jesus.
          >
          > If we did not have the synoptic gospels, would it have occurred to
          > anyone reading the Gospel of John that Jesus was baptized?

          Both Jn and Lk omit the baptism of Jesus by JB (in Lk, JB is already in
          prison when Jesus is baptised). This seems to indicate that the final
          editors of both Jn and Lk were rather uncomfortable with this idea.

          It stands to reason that the baptism of Jesus by JB was present in the
          source documents (or document) of both Jn and Lk, because, in both Jn and
          Lk, the omission appears as rather awkward.

          It is not clear that the analysis of the three Synoptic versions of this
          general scene can establish clearly which version is the most primitive,
          since the directionality of dependence here is not at all clear. It is
          possible that all four NT versions of this scene are based on some original
          proto-gospel source document.

          Regards,

          Yuri.

          Biblical history list http://www.egroups.com/group/loisy

          equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian
        • Tim Reynolds
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7, 2000
            "Brian E. Wilson" wrote:

            > If we did not have the synoptic gospels, would it have occurred to
            > anyone reading the Gospel of John that Jesus was baptized?

            No.

            tim
          • Tim Reynolds
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 7, 2000
              Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:

              > Both Jn and Lk omit the baptism of Jesus by JB (in Lk, JB is already in
              > prison when Jesus is baptised).

              I don't find a flashback at 2.21 awkward. He finishes up the John sequence
              and begins the Jesus sequence.

              > It is
              > possible that all four NT versions of this scene are based on some original
              > proto-gospel source document.

              Why a document?

              tim
            • Tim Reynolds
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 7, 2000
                Tim Reynolds wrote:

                > "Brian E. Wilson" wrote:
                >
                > > If we did not have the synoptic gospels, would it have occurred to
                > > anyone reading the Gospel of John that Jesus was baptized?
                >
                > No.
                >
                > tim

                If the event elsewhere alleged indeed occured it would seem to have been
                between 1.27 and 1.29.
              • Dennis Sullivan
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 8, 2000