[Synoptic-L] redaction-critical arguments

    Message 1 of 60 , Sep 6, 2000
      Brian Wilson wrote --

      >My point is that (Stein's) redaction-critical argument can proceed only
      >if it is assumed that either the 2DH or the GH is true. His conclusion
      >is the **conditional** statement --
      >
      >If either the 2DH OR the GH is true, then, by comparing the use of the
      >title 'Son of David' in the synoptic gospels, it is seen that it is
      >more probable that the 2DH is true (in which Matthew used Mark) than
      >that the GH is true (in which Mark used Matthew).
      >
      >Stein's conditional statement does not answer the source-critical
      >question "Is the 2DH true?" or "Did Matthew use Mark?". For the
      >condition he sets allows the possibility that the 2DH is false or that
      >it could be true.
      >
      >My general point is I have yet to find a redaction-critical argument
      >which does answer a source-critical question. Maybe the nature of
      >redaction-criticism is such that its arguments cannot answer source-
      >critical questions.

      Stephen Carlson replied --

      >It occurs to me that your characterization of Stein's argument (quoted
      >hereinafter) does indeed answer a source critical question: Under given
      >circumstances, which source theory, the 2DH or the GH, is more probable
      >than the other?
      >
      >>If either the 2DH OR the GH is true, then, by comparing the use of the
      >>title 'Son of David' in the synoptic gospels, it is seen that it is
      >>more probable that the 2DH is true (in which Matthew used Mark) than
      >>that the GH is true (in which Mark used Matthew).
      >
      >Certainly seems like an answer to a source-critical question to me.

      Stephen,
      I think it may be worth looking more closely at this. I wonder
      whether the phrase "Under given circumstances" may point to a weakness
      in your argument. I would suggest that the circumstances may not be
      given, but may be entirely hypothetical. (Indeed they may well be
      false.)

      The logic of Stein's argument is -- *IF* you answer one source-critical
      question, *THEN*, on that basis, I can answer another source critical
      question for you. But his answer to the second source-critical question
      is dependent on the answer to the first source-critical question being
      known. And the point is that the answer to the first source-critical
      question is not known. So Stein's argument answers no source-critical
      question. His argument would answer a source-critical question (Is the
      2DH more probable than the GH?) IF another source-critical question
      could first be answered (Is either the 2DH or the GH true?). But we do
      not know that either the 2DH or the GH is true, and indeed both may well
      be shown to be false on other grounds.

      The general point I am suggesting is that no redaction-critical argument
      can answer a source-critical question. The issue this raises, of course,
      is whether redaction-criticism is of any use in trying to solve the
      Synoptic Problem. I doubt that it is. I am sure that redaction criticism
      has a very important place in unravelling the implications of a solution
      to the Synoptic Problem once this has been established. Once a synoptic
      documentary hypothesis is accepted, then, on the assumption of that
      documentary solution, redaction-critical arguments can be used to try
      and work out how each writer treated his source material and what was
      the theological view-point of each writer. But such redaction criticism
      comes only after a solution to the Synoptic Problem has been found. It
      is not used in actually solving the Synoptic Problem.

      To quote from the ST MARK commentary in the "Black's NT Commentaries"
      series --

      >"Can we be certain that the particular theory of literary relationships
      >between the Synoptics on which our redaction-critical analysis is based
      >is correct? Certainly a different theory will lead to different
      >results, and if we have chosen the wrong one our conclusions will be
      >false" (page 3).

      The commentator takes it for granted that a solution to the Synoptic
      Problem is assumed before redaction-criticism can begin, and that if we
      have got our solution to the Synoptic Problem wrong then the redaction-
      critical arguments we base on it will be worthless.

      On this view, far from redaction-critical arguments justifying any
      hypothesis of the documentary relationship between the synoptic gospels,
      it is a hypothesis of documentary relationship between the synoptic
      gospels which justifies any redaction-critical arguments.

      _
      Message 60 of 60 , Sep 6, 2000