[Synoptic-L] Synoptic Concordance Vol 2 available

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2000
      Peter M. Head wrote (12 July 00) --

      >Thanks to Wieland for mentioning that the 2nd volume of the Synoptic
      >Concordance (Ed. by Paul Hoffman, Ulrich Bauer) is available.
      >I would be interested to hear if anyone has used volume one much. I had
      >a look but decided that a) it was too bulky to be an easily usable
      >tool; b) it was going to be too expensive for personal use (and for
      >underlining/highlighting, writing little notes in, etc.);
      >and that c) using a synopsis and a concordance separately has some
      >advantages in keeping the general context available and making other NT
      >uses accessible. But I could be missing out, so if anyone has used
      >volume one and found it valuable please say so.

      Peter,
      I have been using both Volume I and Volume 2 and found them very
      useful for checking on redaction-critical references and stats. For
      instance, the use of EUTHUS/EUTHEWS in the synoptics (Stein refers to
      this in his second question and answer) is seen at a glance with
      examples of those instances found only in Mark, or the one instance
      found only in Matthew, and so on, just hitting you in the eye. It would
      have taken a lot of work to check the point Stein makes on
      EUTHUS/EUTHEWS. Again, just looking at the neighbouring pages, the
      synoptic uses of EUAGGELION and of EUAGGELIZOMAI are set out very
      conveniently. It is very clear, for instance, that none of Mark's uses
      of EUAGGELION parallels any of Luke's uses of EUAGGELIZW, and none of
      Luke's uses of EUAGGELIZW parallels any of Mark's uses of EUAGGELION,
      and also that EUAGGELIZW does not occur in Mark, and EUAGGELION is not
      found in Luke. I look forward to the remaining volumes.

      _