[Synoptic-L] American size printer-paper

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
      Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote --

      >We seem to be having a lot of discussion about paper size (hardly a
      >critical topic for synoptic research)...
      >It seems to me that one needs only to select the size paper that is
      >loaded in the printer, reset the margins (an optional step), and
      >print. I wonder why what seems so basic has generated so much
      >discussion. Am I missing something?

      I think you are missing the kindly warning given to the List by one of
      its Moderators on 23 July 1999, to the effect that attempts to print my
      Finland talk in its original A4 page setting onto American size paper
      did not work --

      People should be aware that Brian recently updated his web site
      with his paper presented at the 1999 SBL International Meeting
      in Finland. It is formatted for A4 size, not 8.5x11, paper,
      so Americans please beware.
      Stephen Carlson

      I have also received non-List pleas from people in the USA to re-format
      the material so that it could be printed directly onto standard American
      size paper. For instance the following sent to me on 22 Sept 1999 -

      Hi Brian,
      You have interesting-sounding docs. at your web site, but the paper
      specs (A4 I think) can't print on the U.S. standard 8 1/2 by 11. If you
      could format a 2nd version without too much trouble, it would make
      your papers more widely available. Thanks, and best regards,
      Jon

      If these were mis-guided requests, then I have wasted not only a lot of
      my time editing the many complex columns of the pages to no purpose, but
      also that of a senior soft-ware engineer in Cambridge, UK, who reads
      Synoptic-L with considerable understanding, and gave his time willingly
      to process my files to fit them onto my home-page, supposing he was
      doing a sensible piece of work.

      _
    • Peter M. Head
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 15, 2000
        Prof. Longstaff wrote: "We seem to be having a lot of discussion about
        paper size (hardly a critical topic for synoptic research). Truth to tell,
        the world has a certain diversity and not everyone uses exactly the same
        sized paper."

        I had thought that someone would apply the diverse paper sizes to the
        synoptic problem before long. But now I can't resist.

        We know from Pliny [Nat. Hist. xiii.74-80] that papyrus sheets came in
        different sizes: the best quality was the widest (13 digits for "Augustan",
        lengthened under Claudius to a foot) and the lowest quality was the
        narrowest (6 digits for "emporitic"). We might surmise that Luke would have
        used a higher quality, and therefore wider papyrus than Mark (perhaps even
        that Matthew used a medium width). It is not therefore the length of the
        papyrus roll* that is crucial (even though this is often commented upon),
        but the width: Luke with the widest roll* has the fullest narrative, while
        Mark with the narrowest has the shortest narrative.

        *roll: if it was a codex it would not change the already dubious argument.

        Peter

        Dr. Peter M. Head
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens