(Fwd) Re: [Synoptic-L] American size printer-paper

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2000
      I forward the following message to the list, which was sent to me;
      but suggest that this is the last one on this thread -- I agree with
      Prof. Longstaff that this problem has now been well and truly aired,
      with apologies for prolonging it myself. Mark

      Date sent: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:07:30 -0400
      From: "L. J. Swain" <x99swain@...>
      Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] American size printer-paper
      To: M.S.Goodacre@...

      Mark Goodacre wrote:

      > In Brian's case the document has been formatted as a MS Word
      > document and will thus automatically be read by Word if one has that
      > loaded on one's machine. I don't know what happens when people don't
      > have Word loaded. On my machine it comes up with the margins set as
      > Brian has done them, viz. for American paper.

      There are actually a few different ways of handling this. One hopes
      that
      if you are using WordPerfect or another word processor that the
      complete
      conversion dictionary set was installed allowing one to read Word
      files in
      WordPerfect or vice versa. Barring that, one can also download from
      Microsoft "viewers" of any of their programs--these little pieces of
      software allow one to read any Microsoft generated file and do minor
      editing and printing. I myself would never code a file for another paper
      size, that adjustment can be made by the recipient for the paper size and
      printer they have. In my experience, always much easier to have the
      recipient make the adjustments than try and guess what their needs may be.

      > One way round problems of compatibility is to save files in "rich text
      > format" and these can be read straightforwardly by most word- processing
      > software.

      Mark is on the money here, although I would take it a step further
      and
      save any attachment I'm sending as a vanilla text file. Such a file
      can
      be read by ANY word processor on ANY platform--whether the
      DOS editor,
      Word2000, Clarisworks, or pico on a Lynux box. Unfortunately,
      what one
      gains from versatility also costs one in terms of format: a vanilla text
      preserves very little formatting, fonts, and the like.

      Just my .02
      --
      Larry Swain