Re: [Synoptic-L] American size printer-paper

  • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
      We seem to be having a lot of discussion about paper size (hardly a
      critical topic for synoptic research). Truth to tell, the world has a
      certain diversity and not everyone uses exactly the same sized paper. This
      should not be a problem - especially for those who use MS Word (and Brian
      mentioned that the document was a Word document). One needs only to go to
      the "File" menu and select "Page Setup." Choose the tab for "Paper Size"
      and a number of options present themselves- including the 8.5 x 11 inch
      format used in the United States (but not only there). The A4 size (210 x
      297 mm, used in England and elsewhere) is also an option, as are A5, B5,
      Legal, and a number of other sizes. The dimensions of each are also given.
      It seems to me that one needs only to select the size paper that is loaded
      in the printer, reset the margins (an optional step), and print. I wonder
      why what seems so basic has generated so much discussion. Am I missing
      something? I regularly move from the USA to England to Israel and find
      myself using different sizes of paper (depending on what is conveniently
      available).

      As one member of the list, I'm ready for an end to this thread.

      Best wishes,

      trwl

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
        Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote --

        >We seem to be having a lot of discussion about paper size (hardly a
        >critical topic for synoptic research)...
        >It seems to me that one needs only to select the size paper that is
        >loaded in the printer, reset the margins (an optional step), and
        >print. I wonder why what seems so basic has generated so much
        >discussion. Am I missing something?

        I think you are missing the kindly warning given to the List by one of
        its Moderators on 23 July 1999, to the effect that attempts to print my
        Finland talk in its original A4 page setting onto American size paper
        did not work --

        People should be aware that Brian recently updated his web site
        with his paper presented at the 1999 SBL International Meeting
        in Finland. It is formatted for A4 size, not 8.5x11, paper,
        so Americans please beware.
        Stephen Carlson

        I have also received non-List pleas from people in the USA to re-format
        the material so that it could be printed directly onto standard American
        size paper. For instance the following sent to me on 22 Sept 1999 -

        Hi Brian,
        You have interesting-sounding docs. at your web site, but the paper
        specs (A4 I think) can't print on the U.S. standard 8 1/2 by 11. If you
        could format a 2nd version without too much trouble, it would make
        your papers more widely available. Thanks, and best regards,
        Jon

        If these were mis-guided requests, then I have wasted not only a lot of
        my time editing the many complex columns of the pages to no purpose, but
        also that of a senior soft-ware engineer in Cambridge, UK, who reads
        Synoptic-L with considerable understanding, and gave his time willingly
        to process my files to fit them onto my home-page, supposing he was
        doing a sensible piece of work.

        _
      • Peter M. Head
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 15, 2000
          Prof. Longstaff wrote: "We seem to be having a lot of discussion about
          paper size (hardly a critical topic for synoptic research). Truth to tell,
          the world has a certain diversity and not everyone uses exactly the same
          sized paper."

          I had thought that someone would apply the diverse paper sizes to the
          synoptic problem before long. But now I can't resist.

          We know from Pliny [Nat. Hist. xiii.74-80] that papyrus sheets came in
          different sizes: the best quality was the widest (13 digits for "Augustan",
          lengthened under Claudius to a foot) and the lowest quality was the
          narrowest (6 digits for "emporitic"). We might surmise that Luke would have
          used a higher quality, and therefore wider papyrus than Mark (perhaps even
          that Matthew used a medium width). It is not therefore the length of the
          papyrus roll* that is crucial (even though this is often commented upon),
          but the width: Luke with the widest roll* has the fullest narrative, while
          Mark with the narrowest has the shortest narrative.

          *roll: if it was a codex it would not change the already dubious argument.

          Peter

          Dr. Peter M. Head
          Tyndale House
          36 Selwyn Gardens