[Synoptic-L] American size printer-paper

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14 11:12 AM
      Mark Goodacre wrote --

      >In Brian's case the document has been formatted as a MS Word
      >document and will thus automatically be read by Word if one has that
      >loaded on one's machine. I don't know what happens when people
      >don't have Word loaded. On my machine it comes up with the
      >margins set as Brian has done them, viz. for American paper.

      Yes. Thanks for making this technical point so clear.

      I perhaps should have added that although I have used margins set for
      American paper, I have tried to limit the actual size of the pages of
      text so that they can be printed out on A4 also (A4 being less than 8.5
      inches wide).

      _
    • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14 1:07 PM
        We seem to be having a lot of discussion about paper size (hardly a
        critical topic for synoptic research). Truth to tell, the world has a
        certain diversity and not everyone uses exactly the same sized paper. This
        should not be a problem - especially for those who use MS Word (and Brian
        mentioned that the document was a Word document). One needs only to go to
        the "File" menu and select "Page Setup." Choose the tab for "Paper Size"
        and a number of options present themselves- including the 8.5 x 11 inch
        format used in the United States (but not only there). The A4 size (210 x
        297 mm, used in England and elsewhere) is also an option, as are A5, B5,
        Legal, and a number of other sizes. The dimensions of each are also given.
        It seems to me that one needs only to select the size paper that is loaded
        in the printer, reset the margins (an optional step), and print. I wonder
        why what seems so basic has generated so much discussion. Am I missing
        something? I regularly move from the USA to England to Israel and find
        myself using different sizes of paper (depending on what is conveniently
        available).

        As one member of the list, I'm ready for an end to this thread.

        Best wishes,

        trwl

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14 4:31 PM
          Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote --

          >We seem to be having a lot of discussion about paper size (hardly a
          >critical topic for synoptic research)...
          >It seems to me that one needs only to select the size paper that is
          >loaded in the printer, reset the margins (an optional step), and
          >print. I wonder why what seems so basic has generated so much
          >discussion. Am I missing something?

          I think you are missing the kindly warning given to the List by one of
          its Moderators on 23 July 1999, to the effect that attempts to print my
          Finland talk in its original A4 page setting onto American size paper
          did not work --

          People should be aware that Brian recently updated his web site
          with his paper presented at the 1999 SBL International Meeting
          in Finland. It is formatted for A4 size, not 8.5x11, paper,
          so Americans please beware.
          Stephen Carlson

          I have also received non-List pleas from people in the USA to re-format
          the material so that it could be printed directly onto standard American
          size paper. For instance the following sent to me on 22 Sept 1999 -

          Hi Brian,
          You have interesting-sounding docs. at your web site, but the paper
          specs (A4 I think) can't print on the U.S. standard 8 1/2 by 11. If you
          could format a 2nd version without too much trouble, it would make
          your papers more widely available. Thanks, and best regards,
          Jon

          If these were mis-guided requests, then I have wasted not only a lot of
          my time editing the many complex columns of the pages to no purpose, but
          also that of a senior soft-ware engineer in Cambridge, UK, who reads
          Synoptic-L with considerable understanding, and gave his time willingly
          to process my files to fit them onto my home-page, supposing he was
          doing a sensible piece of work.

          _
        • Peter M. Head
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 15 1:44 AM
            Prof. Longstaff wrote: "We seem to be having a lot of discussion about
            paper size (hardly a critical topic for synoptic research). Truth to tell,
            the world has a certain diversity and not everyone uses exactly the same
            sized paper."

            I had thought that someone would apply the diverse paper sizes to the
            synoptic problem before long. But now I can't resist.

            We know from Pliny [Nat. Hist. xiii.74-80] that papyrus sheets came in
            different sizes: the best quality was the widest (13 digits for "Augustan",
            lengthened under Claudius to a foot) and the lowest quality was the
            narrowest (6 digits for "emporitic"). We might surmise that Luke would have
            used a higher quality, and therefore wider papyrus than Mark (perhaps even
            that Matthew used a medium width). It is not therefore the length of the
            papyrus roll* that is crucial (even though this is often commented upon),
            but the width: Luke with the widest roll* has the fullest narrative, while
            Mark with the narrowest has the shortest narrative.

            *roll: if it was a codex it would not change the already dubious argument.

            Peter

            Dr. Peter M. Head
            Tyndale House
            36 Selwyn Gardens