Re: [Synoptic-L] American size printer-paper

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14 9:49 AM
      On 14 Aug 00, at 10:31, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

      > Doesn't this overlook the fact that page size formatting is
      > unnecessary, and may even cause problems, since what determines the
      > page size of something taken from the web is what is keyed as the
      > default in the computer of the person downloading a text? In other
      > words, having the correct page format would be important if you had
      > sent the file to North Americans as an attachment. But since it's
      > being read through a browser and not a word processing program,
      > putting in page size codes may only screw things up. Or so I think.
      > Corrections appreciated.

      In Brian's case the document has been formatted as a MS Word
      document and will thus automatically be read by Word if one has that
      loaded on one's machine. I don't know what happens when people
      don't have Word loaded. On my machine it comes up with the
      margins set as Brian has done them, viz. for American paper.

      One way round problems of compatibility is to save files in "rich text
      format" and these can be read straightforwardly by most word-
      processing software.

      Mark
      --------------------------------------
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      Homepage
      http://www.ntgateway.com
      The New Testament Gateway
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14 11:12 AM
        Mark Goodacre wrote --

        >In Brian's case the document has been formatted as a MS Word
        >document and will thus automatically be read by Word if one has that
        >loaded on one's machine. I don't know what happens when people
        >don't have Word loaded. On my machine it comes up with the
        >margins set as Brian has done them, viz. for American paper.

        Yes. Thanks for making this technical point so clear.

        I perhaps should have added that although I have used margins set for
        American paper, I have tried to limit the actual size of the pages of
        text so that they can be printed out on A4 also (A4 being less than 8.5
        inches wide).

        _
      • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14 1:07 PM
          We seem to be having a lot of discussion about paper size (hardly a
          critical topic for synoptic research). Truth to tell, the world has a
          certain diversity and not everyone uses exactly the same sized paper. This
          should not be a problem - especially for those who use MS Word (and Brian
          mentioned that the document was a Word document). One needs only to go to
          the "File" menu and select "Page Setup." Choose the tab for "Paper Size"
          and a number of options present themselves- including the 8.5 x 11 inch
          format used in the United States (but not only there). The A4 size (210 x
          297 mm, used in England and elsewhere) is also an option, as are A5, B5,
          Legal, and a number of other sizes. The dimensions of each are also given.
          It seems to me that one needs only to select the size paper that is loaded
          in the printer, reset the margins (an optional step), and print. I wonder
          why what seems so basic has generated so much discussion. Am I missing
          something? I regularly move from the USA to England to Israel and find
          myself using different sizes of paper (depending on what is conveniently
          available).

          As one member of the list, I'm ready for an end to this thread.

          Best wishes,

          trwl

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14 4:31 PM
            Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote --

            >We seem to be having a lot of discussion about paper size (hardly a
            >critical topic for synoptic research)...
            >It seems to me that one needs only to select the size paper that is
            >loaded in the printer, reset the margins (an optional step), and
            >print. I wonder why what seems so basic has generated so much
            >discussion. Am I missing something?

            I think you are missing the kindly warning given to the List by one of
            its Moderators on 23 July 1999, to the effect that attempts to print my
            Finland talk in its original A4 page setting onto American size paper
            did not work --

            People should be aware that Brian recently updated his web site
            with his paper presented at the 1999 SBL International Meeting
            in Finland. It is formatted for A4 size, not 8.5x11, paper,
            so Americans please beware.
            Stephen Carlson

            I have also received non-List pleas from people in the USA to re-format
            the material so that it could be printed directly onto standard American
            size paper. For instance the following sent to me on 22 Sept 1999 -

            Hi Brian,
            You have interesting-sounding docs. at your web site, but the paper
            specs (A4 I think) can't print on the U.S. standard 8 1/2 by 11. If you
            could format a 2nd version without too much trouble, it would make
            your papers more widely available. Thanks, and best regards,
            Jon

            If these were mis-guided requests, then I have wasted not only a lot of
            my time editing the many complex columns of the pages to no purpose, but
            also that of a senior soft-ware engineer in Cambridge, UK, who reads
            Synoptic-L with considerable understanding, and gave his time willingly
            to process my files to fit them onto my home-page, supposing he was
            doing a sensible piece of work.

            _
          • Peter M. Head
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 15 1:44 AM
              Prof. Longstaff wrote: "We seem to be having a lot of discussion about
              paper size (hardly a critical topic for synoptic research). Truth to tell,
              the world has a certain diversity and not everyone uses exactly the same
              sized paper."

              I had thought that someone would apply the diverse paper sizes to the
              synoptic problem before long. But now I can't resist.

              We know from Pliny [Nat. Hist. xiii.74-80] that papyrus sheets came in
              different sizes: the best quality was the widest (13 digits for "Augustan",
              lengthened under Claudius to a foot) and the lowest quality was the
              narrowest (6 digits for "emporitic"). We might surmise that Luke would have
              used a higher quality, and therefore wider papyrus than Mark (perhaps even
              that Matthew used a medium width). It is not therefore the length of the
              papyrus roll* that is crucial (even though this is often commented upon),
              but the width: Luke with the widest roll* has the fullest narrative, while
              Mark with the narrowest has the shortest narrative.

              *roll: if it was a codex it would not change the already dubious argument.

              Peter

              Dr. Peter M. Head
              Tyndale House
              36 Selwyn Gardens