[Synoptic-L] American size printer-paper

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
      I have recently revised the page format of a talk I gave in Finland on
      story dualities and the Greek Notes Hypothesis, in the hope that this
      can now be printed out on American size paper - 8.5 inches by 11 inches
      (Hence my recent request for these dimensions. I have also corrected
      some minor errors in the Greek comparisons.) The Greek uses Sgreek font.

      The talk is on my home-page at --

      http://www.twonh.demon.co.uk/

      Please let me know if there are any difficulties in printing on American
      size paper. (In Microsoft jargon apparently this is sometimes known as
      "Letter" size.)

      _
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
        "Brian E. Wilson" wrote:

        > I have recently revised the page format of a talk I gave in Finland on
        > story dualities and the Greek Notes Hypothesis, in the hope that this
        > can now be printed out on American size paper - 8.5 inches by 11 inches
        > (Hence my recent request for these dimensions. I have also corrected
        > some minor errors in the Greek comparisons.) The Greek uses Sgreek font.

        Doesn't this overlook the fact that page size formatting is unnecessary, and
        may even cause problems, since what determines the page size of something
        taken from the web is what is keyed as the default in the computer of the
        person downloading a text? In other words, having the correct page format
        would be important if you had sent the file to North Americans as an
        attachment. But since it's being read through a browser and not a word
        processing program, putting in page size codes may only screw things up. Or
        so I think. Corrections appreciated.

        Yours,

        Jeffrey
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
        7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
          On 14 Aug 00, at 10:31, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

          > Doesn't this overlook the fact that page size formatting is
          > unnecessary, and may even cause problems, since what determines the
          > page size of something taken from the web is what is keyed as the
          > default in the computer of the person downloading a text? In other
          > words, having the correct page format would be important if you had
          > sent the file to North Americans as an attachment. But since it's
          > being read through a browser and not a word processing program,
          > putting in page size codes may only screw things up. Or so I think.
          > Corrections appreciated.

          In Brian's case the document has been formatted as a MS Word
          document and will thus automatically be read by Word if one has that
          loaded on one's machine. I don't know what happens when people
          don't have Word loaded. On my machine it comes up with the
          margins set as Brian has done them, viz. for American paper.

          One way round problems of compatibility is to save files in "rich text
          format" and these can be read straightforwardly by most word-
          processing software.

          Mark
          --------------------------------------
          Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
          University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
          Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

          http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
          Homepage
          http://www.ntgateway.com
          The New Testament Gateway
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
            Mark Goodacre wrote --

            >In Brian's case the document has been formatted as a MS Word
            >document and will thus automatically be read by Word if one has that
            >loaded on one's machine. I don't know what happens when people
            >don't have Word loaded. On my machine it comes up with the
            >margins set as Brian has done them, viz. for American paper.

            Yes. Thanks for making this technical point so clear.

            I perhaps should have added that although I have used margins set for
            American paper, I have tried to limit the actual size of the pages of
            text so that they can be printed out on A4 also (A4 being less than 8.5
            inches wide).

            _
          • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
              We seem to be having a lot of discussion about paper size (hardly a
              critical topic for synoptic research). Truth to tell, the world has a
              certain diversity and not everyone uses exactly the same sized paper. This
              should not be a problem - especially for those who use MS Word (and Brian
              mentioned that the document was a Word document). One needs only to go to
              the "File" menu and select "Page Setup." Choose the tab for "Paper Size"
              and a number of options present themselves- including the 8.5 x 11 inch
              format used in the United States (but not only there). The A4 size (210 x
              297 mm, used in England and elsewhere) is also an option, as are A5, B5,
              Legal, and a number of other sizes. The dimensions of each are also given.
              It seems to me that one needs only to select the size paper that is loaded
              in the printer, reset the margins (an optional step), and print. I wonder
              why what seems so basic has generated so much discussion. Am I missing
              something? I regularly move from the USA to England to Israel and find
              myself using different sizes of paper (depending on what is conveniently
              available).

              As one member of the list, I'm ready for an end to this thread.

              Best wishes,

              trwl

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 14, 2000
                Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote --

                >We seem to be having a lot of discussion about paper size (hardly a
                >critical topic for synoptic research)...
                >It seems to me that one needs only to select the size paper that is
                >loaded in the printer, reset the margins (an optional step), and
                >print. I wonder why what seems so basic has generated so much
                >discussion. Am I missing something?

                I think you are missing the kindly warning given to the List by one of
                its Moderators on 23 July 1999, to the effect that attempts to print my
                Finland talk in its original A4 page setting onto American size paper
                did not work --

                People should be aware that Brian recently updated his web site
                with his paper presented at the 1999 SBL International Meeting
                in Finland. It is formatted for A4 size, not 8.5x11, paper,
                so Americans please beware.
                Stephen Carlson

                I have also received non-List pleas from people in the USA to re-format
                the material so that it could be printed directly onto standard American
                size paper. For instance the following sent to me on 22 Sept 1999 -

                Hi Brian,
                You have interesting-sounding docs. at your web site, but the paper
                specs (A4 I think) can't print on the U.S. standard 8 1/2 by 11. If you
                could format a 2nd version without too much trouble, it would make
                your papers more widely available. Thanks, and best regards,
                Jon

                If these were mis-guided requests, then I have wasted not only a lot of
                my time editing the many complex columns of the pages to no purpose, but
                also that of a senior soft-ware engineer in Cambridge, UK, who reads
                Synoptic-L with considerable understanding, and gave his time willingly
                to process my files to fit them onto my home-page, supposing he was
                doing a sensible piece of work.

                _
              • Peter M. Head
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 15, 2000
                  Prof. Longstaff wrote: "We seem to be having a lot of discussion about
                  paper size (hardly a critical topic for synoptic research). Truth to tell,
                  the world has a certain diversity and not everyone uses exactly the same
                  sized paper."

                  I had thought that someone would apply the diverse paper sizes to the
                  synoptic problem before long. But now I can't resist.

                  We know from Pliny [Nat. Hist. xiii.74-80] that papyrus sheets came in
                  different sizes: the best quality was the widest (13 digits for "Augustan",
                  lengthened under Claudius to a foot) and the lowest quality was the
                  narrowest (6 digits for "emporitic"). We might surmise that Luke would have
                  used a higher quality, and therefore wider papyrus than Mark (perhaps even
                  that Matthew used a medium width). It is not therefore the length of the
                  papyrus roll* that is crucial (even though this is often commented upon),
                  but the width: Luke with the widest roll* has the fullest narrative, while
                  Mark with the narrowest has the shortest narrative.

                  *roll: if it was a codex it would not change the already dubious argument.

                  Peter

                  Dr. Peter M. Head
                  Tyndale House
                  36 Selwyn Gardens