[Synoptic-L] query: apocryphal gospels

  • Mike Parsons
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2000
               Reply to:   query: apocryphal gospels

      colleagues, forgive me for stretching our discussion beyond canonical bounds, but we are reading apocryphal gospels in our graduate colloquium this year (hence the request), using the revised edition of Schneemelcher (in eng.).i am wondering if anyone knows of a bibliography on apocryphals gospels (i know about the Gospel of Thomas homepage, the non-canonical gospels homepage, whose link is not currently working, but others would be appreciated). i am also looking for a kind of general introduction that covers most of these writings (the students will actually be writing critical intros to individual documents, but we are looking for something for the others to read). at this point, i am leaning toward the appropriate sections in Koester's Ancient Christian Gospels. can someone recommend something else? thanks in advance for your indulgence and assistance (reply off-line unless others are interested).
      cheers,
      mikeal

      Mikeal C. Parsons
      Department of Religion
      Baylor University
      Waco, TX 76798
      Voice: 254-710-4591
      FAX: 254-710-3740
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2000
        Mike Parsons wrote:

        > colleagues, forgive me for stretching our discussion beyond canonical
        > bounds, but we are reading apocryphal gospels in our graduate
        > colloquium this year (hence the request), using the revised edition of
        > Schneemelcher (in eng.).i am wondering if anyone knows of a
        > bibliography on apocryphals gospels (i know about the Gospel of Thomas
        > homepage, the non-canonical gospels homepage, whose link is not
        > currently working, but others would be appreciated). i am also looking
        > for a kind of general introduction that covers most of these writings
        > (the students will actually be writing critical intros to individual
        > documents, but we are looking for something for the others to read).
        > at this point, i am leaning toward the appropriate sections in
        > Koester's Ancient Christian Gospels. can someone recommend something
        > else? thanks in advance for your indulgence and assistance (reply
        > off-line unless others are interested).

        There's also J. K. Elliott's updated version of M. R. James:

        J.K. Elliott (Editor), Montague R. James (Translator), _The
        Apocryphal New Testament : A Collection of Apocryphal Christian
        Literature in an English Translation_ (Oxford: Clarendon, 1998)

        I don't know of any good introductions except, perhaps, Koester or
        Pagels. Majella Franzmann's _Jesus in the Nag Hammadi Writings_
        is a kind of synthesis of Christology in Nag Hammadi documents. I
        would also be interested to hear of any book recommendations on
        this topic.

        With regard to the Noncanonical Home page, there is a new URL:
        http://wesley.nnu.edu/noncanon. However, they have not fixed the
        URLs on that page. Simply subsitute "nnu.edu" in each URL that
        currently reads "nnc.edu" and you can get to the correct pages. I've
        provided some info. at http://www.ntgateway.com/noncanon.htm.
        They are aware of the problem, but say that they don't at the moment
        have time to fix it!

        Mark
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        Homepage
        http://www.ntgateway.com