Re: [Synoptic-L] Clement & Origen on the order of the Synoptics

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 5, 2000
      Dr. Carlson,

      The biggest snag in this auditory piracy model I’m flogging was Clement’s
      statement (and who should know better?) that the genealogy gospels were
      written before Mk. If, however, your reading of PROGEGRAFQAI is correct,
      the problem dissolves.

      This reading also brings you into line, independently of anything else, with
      the AP model overall:

      > It is interesting to me, at least, that Clement's passage exhibits
      > the same kind of concerns as Irenaeus and a desire to explain away
      > the limited publication of the gospel of Mark (e.g. Mark is just
      > Peter's public teaching, etc.). If Mark indeed was only published
      > to a limited extent, this could explain why we see so little of
      > Mark in the extant manuscripts.
      >
      > This would also require some nuancing of Bauckham's "Gospel for all
      > Christians" proposal. Matthew and Luke and perhaps John are still
      > gospels for all Christians, but Mark may have had a limited audience.

      In early days that audience was limited, according to Smith’s Clement
      letter, to the “advanced Catechumens” to whom it was read annually, these
      readings providing the only access to the text.

      tim