Re: [Synoptic-L] undergraduate textbooks

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2000
    • KWhitt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2000
        Landry, David T. wrote:

        > I am wondering if those of you who
        > > teach such a course for undergraduates (of average intellectual ability
        > > and below-average natural interest in the subject matter) have any >
        > > recommendations for lively, interesting textbooks.

        I would suggest two that you might want to examine:

        1) Reddish, Michael G. An Introduction to the Gospels. Nashville: Abingdon
        Press, 1997. This work gives a couple of introductory chapters (one on the
        background of the gospels and synoptic problem; the other on the social
        setting), then each of the gospels is examined on the basis of theme,
        setting, purpose, etc. The final chapter explores the noncanonical gospels
        and touches on the issue of the historical Jesus.

        2) Powell, Mark Allan. Introduction to the Gospels. Minneapolis: Fortress
        Press, 1998. Powell does about the same thing that Reddish does, but puts
        his treatment of Jesus in the 2nd chapter.

        Neither contain the kind of thorough examination found in Sanders & Davies,
        but both are excellent introductions aimed at (primarily) bored undergrads.
        Reddish is probably a little easier to read, but Powell includes information
        and charts along the way that enhances the reading process.

        Keith Whitt

        R. Keith Whitt
        123 Larkspur Drive
        Huntington, WV 25705