Re: [Synoptic-L] Hypothetical M Source

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
      Brian Tucker wrote:

      > 5. The historical value of M is little because it does not contain much
      > authentic teaching of Jesus? Mason wrote (regrettably) that the contents
      > of M should be treated cautiously because it has suffered “adulteration”
      > from Judaism. (Sayings, 26) What is that all about?

      Less tendentiously, the "M" material is more Judaic than the Mt material.
      Mason's implied pattern is a Judaic period (because they were Jews), a
      development toward nonJudaism, and an re-"adulteration" by Judaism. A
      development from Judaism to less Judaism, which we already know about, is
      more parsimonious.

      > 6. Was M a single or a composite document? My understanding is that it
      > was not a single document.

      Why a document at all? If Matthew was indeed an eye-witness and
      participant, he would have his own memories. Where is common sense in all
      this?

      tim