[Synoptic-L] Hypothetical M Source

  • Brian Tucker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2000
      I am putting together a lecture on M please offer critques and
      suggestions:

      1. M, the hypothetical source of Matthew’s special material, deal almost
      exclusively with teaching material.

      2. I plan to talk about B.F. Streeter; T.W. Manson and G.D. Kilpatrick
      any other more recent suggestions?

      3. Is Kilpatrick's content suggestion for M the most widely accepted?

      4. Would you agree with the following characterization of Jesus in M -
      an authoritative leader who founded the church, not just his apostolic
      band.

      5. The historical value of M is little because it does not contain much
      authentic teaching of Jesus? Mason wrote (regrettably) that the contents
      of M should be treated cautiously because it has suffered “adulteration”
      from Judaism. (Sayings, 26) What is that all about?

      6. Was M a single or a composite document? My understanding is that it
      was not a single document.

      --
      Brian Tucker
      15633 Pennsylvania
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
        Brian Tucker wrote:

        > 5. The historical value of M is little because it does not contain much
        > authentic teaching of Jesus? Mason wrote (regrettably) that the contents
        > of M should be treated cautiously because it has suffered “adulteration”
        > from Judaism. (Sayings, 26) What is that all about?

        Less tendentiously, the "M" material is more Judaic than the Mt material.
        Mason's implied pattern is a Judaic period (because they were Jews), a
        development toward nonJudaism, and an re-"adulteration" by Judaism. A
        development from Judaism to less Judaism, which we already know about, is
        more parsimonious.

        > 6. Was M a single or a composite document? My understanding is that it
        > was not a single document.

        Why a document at all? If Matthew was indeed an eye-witness and
        participant, he would have his own memories. Where is common sense in all
        this?

        tim