Re: [Synoptic-L] Implied houses in Matt

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2000
      In a message dated 7/21/2000 1:44:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      scarlson@... writes:

      << At 11:58 AM 7/20/00 EDT, Maluflen@... wrote:
      >That it is in Matthew's style, without any reference to "fatigue", to imply
      >the existence of a house before he mentions the house explicitly is
      confirmed
      >by Matt 10:11-12. Verse 11 speaks of entering a city or village, and
      >inquiring as to who in it might by worthy, and staying THERE "until you go
      >out". No house is mentioned here, but one is certainly implied. Verse 12
      >begins: "and when you enter into that house" (reading the direct article
      THN
      >as anaphoric). You have here what could be regarded as an incoherence in
      that
      >Matthew has not yet mentioned a house in the passage, and yet he refers to
      >"that house" in v. 12. Can one infer from this that there was a Q passage
      >which said something like what we find in Lk 9:4a ("and into whatever house
      >you enter") as opposed to what we find in Matt 10:11a, ("and into whatever
      >city or village you enter"), and that Matthew, having omitted a reference
      >the house in v. 11 (out of a customary love of brevity), then neglectfully
      >copied EIS THN OIKIAN from Q as he continued in verse 12? I don't think so.
      >Do you?

      <<Of course not. Mt 10:11 KAKEI MEINATE (stay there) refers to the city
      or village (POLIN H KWMHN), recited earlier in the verse. >>

      I believe you missed a subtlety of my grammatical argument. I was arguing
      that the definite article (which, by lapsus mentis, I wrongly referred to as
      a "direct" article) in the phrase EIS THN OIKIAN (Matt 10:12) is anaphoric
      and refers to a house that was in Matthew's mind in the previous verse,
      though it is not explicitly expressed there. I think it is imprecise to say
      that KAKEI MEINATE in 10:11 refers to the city or village mentioned earlier
      in the verse. The logic of the verses suggests that the real meaning is as
      follows: "Into whatever city or village you enter, inquire who in it is
      worthy, and stay in that person's house until you go out. And when you enter
      that house, give it your greeting...". In the text as we have it, however,
      the first reference to "house" is not explicit in Matthew. This would be
      analogous to an implied house in Matt 12:46-50 (implied by the term EXW, for
      those who take this term to have that meaning), which is then referred to
      explicitly in 13:1. And yet in Matt 10:11-12 it is difficult to construct a
      case for fatigue. It's just Matthew's style there, and could likewise be in
      12:46 -- 13:1.